2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2006 mazda 3 4dr 2.3 5 speed that the previous owner said he had switched the engine due to a loose drain plug. And it now will not start due to the security light being on. I paid $500 for the car. Found out no power to ecm due to previous owner cutting plugs off old egine harness to make new one plug in. Spent a few hours at a pick and pull and got complete harness out of a 2004 mazda 3 2.3 5 speed while thinking mine was an 04. plug in harness and I can now read ecm onlybto find out the ecm is for an auto and engine will not crank with key but does crank when I jump the starter. Engine will still not start. I plugged in the other ecm the previous owner gave me with car which by the number on it is the original ecm and I can not read it.
Long story short a junkyard 1.5hr away from me has a harness that I verified by vin numbers is the same as my 06 vin will the ecm out of it work or will I have security problems?
Will the harness from an 06 fit the engine was told engine was an 05 but now belive it is an 04 from vin number on ecm?
Sorry for the long story and thanks for the help!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry to say this, but 500 for a car, I expect you will be having many more problems to come, but maybe you like working on them ha?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have any answers for you, but just wanted to chime in that I had to make several trips back and forth from pick a part when I did a auto to manual tranny swap in my jeep. Couldnt find much info online for what i was doing and it was just a frustrating couple months of trial and error. All worked out in the end though. I had a particular problem when the fuel pump would only prime when the ignition was turn on, then stopped. I had to run a 12 wire back to the fuel pump and manually flip it on right before starting and flip it off when i turned the car off. So you might have to dig deep and by pass somethings to get this motor running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts