2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently divorcing and bought my wife a 2012 Mazda 3s GT fully loaded last December. As such it's about $3400 upside down right now so doesn't make sense to sell. At the same time my M3 is VERY EXPENSIVE to drive. Payment and gas-wise I'd save $450 per month keeping the Mazda 3 over the M3, but I'd also lose the expensive maintenance (my 40k service was $4500, oil changes are $200 every 7500 miles, they can be done every 15k...but most recommend 7500). I drive 2000-2500 miles per month. The gas savings may be more than the $170 I am figuring due to not needing premium anymore.

That said what can make the Mazda 3s a bit more fun. I was thinking some Enkei Tuning Fujins and 225/40R18's. The Allergetas are lighter, but the the extra spoke makes them look too busy IMHO. Even with Ventus K12's traction is limited.

I'd like a better shifter (it's a manual).

I'd like better audio, it has the bose setup with navigation.

At least I like the color (white on black leather).

I am not sure if there are any power adders that don't make the car obnoxious or will really help.

I am debating springs and struts.

On the flip side, I was also debating keeping the car until it's right-side up around another 8-9 payments and getting something like a BRZ or Genesis R-Spec (something below $30k).

Thanks for any advice.

Å

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I would probably just save your money and just trade it in or sell it for something you would really enjoy. How crazy are you about the mazda? If you're not entirely sold on the looks and other aesthetics about it, just save your money on mods and use it towards something would you enjoy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sooooo confused.

You bought the soon to be ex-wife a Mazda 3 but are looking to make it more exciting than your '06 M3? Ummmmmmm what? Who is driving the Mazda and who is driving the BMW?

If you somehow ended up with the Mazda all I can recommend is throwing a towel between your teeth and biting down while your drive. No matter what you do it will never provide the "pleasure" of the BMW so you are pretty much f&%^D if you have the Mazda. Just appreciate the fact you have one of the most exciting Japanese cars available this side of the pond.

Oh and BTW who has the BMW and Mazda again??? Post confusing as hell.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Sooooo confused.

You bought the soon to be ex-wife a Mazda 3 but are looking to make it more exciting than your '06 M3? Ummmmmmm what? Who is driving the Mazda and who is driving the BMW?

If you somehow ended up with the Mazda all I can recommend is throwing a towel between your teeth and biting down while your drive. No matter what you do it will never provide the "pleasure" of the BMW so you are pretty much f&%^D if you have the Mazda. Just appreciate the fact you have one of the most exciting Japanese cars available this side of the pond.

He has M3. He bought wife Mazda. Him and wife are divorcing. He wants to keep Mazda and sell m3. How does he make it more fun?

Save up and trade for something more fun. Mazdaspeed3, BRZ, Genesis, Mustang etc. the 2.5 can get to 170whp with bolt ons but I don't think you'll be satisfied.

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
1. Park the M3 until its upside
2. Rage around in 3s
3. Sell both
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sent from a rabbit hole

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sooooo confused.

jesus bro. Stay in school.

BRZ's have like a year waiting list on them, second sell the bmw.
I can get one today if I want it. I drove it tonight. I am in S. Florida. Lot's of cars down here.

1. Park the M3 until its upside
2. Rage around in 3s
3. Sell both
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sent from a rabbit hole
My M3 has $11k of equity the Mazda is -$4k.

I have $28k of credit debt and the M3 has cost me a lot this year in maintenance. 1.5 sets of tires, a $4.5k 40k mile inspection, etc. This wasnt' dealer bullshit. I can do all the work myself, but just dont have time anymore. I am going to a highly respected indy shop.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I'm a little bit shocked in some of everyone's answers. First of all I'm not going off just my car but other friends. A stock MZ3 already has an awesome suspension and can out handle better than a good amount in its class and higher classes. Beefing up the suspension you can already destroy some much higher classes. Our cars were not built for speed. That I agree the M3 is for if that's what you want but since your stating more fun then yes beef it up. Like I was telling Ryan the other day I hate my Ventus V12's but only when the pavement is wet but when dry for a cheap tire they handle very well. Ryan can prove this for you lol. But when I take people on corners I'm still accelerating while others are braking. My best buds modded track 5.0 mustang cant even catch up to me in turns I blow him away on that but once its straighten's I'm done. I never race people anymore on streets I only have fun when against them in turns in all that. But on the track I do very well in turns. My other buddy's MZ3 which was lowered with RSB beefy tires wider rims and much more could out maneuver a bunch of cars on the track that were way above him in price and speed. So all I'm trying to get at is that Mazda is the freaking shit when it comes to cheap handling cars. But beef up the suspension and you got yourself a fun ass car.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Ryan can prove this for you lol.
I agree. This SOB was going like 70 mph around a 35 mph exit ramp :(... ME thought I was gonna die but car was too good at handling... Get springs or coils, add front sway bar + rear sway bar, add mid-chasis brace + front strut bar and the car will literally handle like a go-kart... Then after just slap a damn turbo on it or supercharge it and you have a fast car that would keep up with the M3 and a car that can easily out handle almost anything out there... Oh, and better tires will be needed too.

·
USMC
176 Posts
I am currently divorcing and bought my wife a 2012 Mazda 3s GT fully loaded last December. As such it's about $3400 upside down right now so doesn't make sense to sell. At the same time my M3 is VERY EXPENSIVE to drive. Payment and gas-wise I'd save $450 per month keeping the Mazda 3 over the M3, but I'd also lose the expensive maintenance (my 40k service was $4500, oil changes are $200 every 7500 miles, they can be done every 15k...but most recommend 7500). I drive 2000-2500 miles per month. The gas savings may be more than the $170 I am figuring due to not needing premium anymore.

That said what can make the Mazda 3s a bit more fun. I was thinking some Enkei Tuning Fujins and 225/40R18's. The Allergetas are lighter, but the the extra spoke makes them look too busy IMHO. Even with Ventus K12's traction is limited.

I'd like a better shifter (it's a manual).

I'd like better audio, it has the bose setup with navigation.

At least I like the color (white on black leather).

I am not sure if there are any power adders that don't make the car obnoxious or will really help.

I am debating springs and struts.

On the flip side, I was also debating keeping the car until it's right-side up around another 8-9 payments and getting something like a BRZ or Genesis R-Spec (something below $30k).

Thanks for any advice.

Å
Do your self a favor and get the Genesis. The new redux 2.0 Turbo is 270 HP or something. Very fun to drive, a lot of room for more power. Fuck the BRZ's. They look cool, and they handle well and feel sharp when you drive them, but they're slow as fuck.

Struts ain't cheap, lowering springs are. I would just get springs, and a rear sway bar. With some new shoes the car is like a cat on carpet.

Go all out with the shifting, get a Rear Motor Mount (I have one for sale, I'll explain why I'm switching), solid shifter bushings, a short shift plate, and a shift wieght. The shift feels is a million times better.

A rear motor mount will keep the engine moving excessively, forwards in backwards. This lets you put more power to the ground (in launches and turns), get less wheel hop and torque steer. With a 70A duro Rear Motor Mount (RMM) you'll have nearly no vibrations. That is what I am selling. 80 and 88 duro mounts are sold, 88 being damn near solid, which is what I am upgrading to now that I am trying to push over 400 HP to the wheels. So my old 70 duro RMM is for sale! I'll be posting a thread soon here.

As for shifter bushings, the entire shifting mechanism rests on 4 rubber bushings that provide poor support and this sloppy shifting. Adding the bushings makes a world of difference, letting you feel the gears shift much better. Very much worth the money.

Short shift plate will reduce throw about 30%. It doesn't sound like much, but it is. Don't get this without a RMM and bushings or else it won't work well. As far as the weight, all an aftermarket wieght does is reduce the shifting counter wieght and make it closer to the shift knobs weight. If your good with tools I'd just hack off a chunk of the stock weight, doesn't look pretty but that's up to you.

Audio is audio.

And don't waste your time with power. You won't see any increases on that platform that are worth your money.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
And don't waste your time with power. You won't see any increases on that platform that are worth your money.
All you said was fine until here. You are joking me right? Spending a little under $5k for a turbo kit won't see any power increase worth the money? Haha. You can easily double the whp car on 10 psi with the Tri-Point turbo kit. That's a lot of performance gain for $5k and well worth every penny!...

·
Registered
465 Posts
So are there only e two cars? I ask because in most states they will divide property 50/50 when there's a divorce.
I'm a notary public of Texas and I see this all the time. I also have my own personal experience.
So if that's the case its simple, get the loan/title/financing switched to her name only (for the Bimmer).
Then when shit gets divided up she will get the m3 and u the Mazda. She will b all excited Cus ....what woman doesn't like a BMW and u get to walk away laughing.
You are so right about bimmers having expensive maintenance. I have owned plenty and I worked on them in a BMW shop so I definitely know.
So leave her with the headache. She'll think she got one over on you and you'll do yourself a favor. Just make sure u switch it over first so when she finally can't afford it anymore it'll b her credit that's fucked and the repo man at her door.

Don't get me wrong, bimmers are great cars awesome cars but just very expensive.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
simple coilovers with a rear sway bar can make the car handle great. its great to have a FSB but the rear is where you need it. You want a lil tail happy on a FWD.. lol

Welcome to the forum OP...

Reactions: Poliswag

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went from a 2008 M3 to my skyactiv hatch 3 and I dont miss the m3. The limits were so high on the M3 it was only fun on the track and had terrible gas mileage, low to mid teens. I originally wanted a BRZ but it was not out when I got the 3. If you can get BRZ then I would get one, slow but that is the point. I test drove a FR-S and it was a lot of fun, exactly what I am looking for in a street car. For my 3, only thing I have done is get a new rear sway bar which made a nice change, less plow on the cloverleif on ramps.

·
USMC
176 Posts
All you said was fine until here. You are joking me right? Spending a little under $5k for a turbo kit won't see any power increase worth the money? Haha. You can easily double the whp car on 10 psi with the Tri-Point turbo kit. That's a lot of performance gain for $5k and well worth every penny!...
Very true, I was talking about simple bolt on solutions. Headers, Exhuast, Intake for what, 20whp? But yes a turbo kit would be worth it on the 2.5

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
and lucky you! there is one for sale for 3000$! you can make 250+whp with it, without sacrificing reliability. I have almost 30k miles on my engine now, 25k miles have been turbo.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts