2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an automatic 2005 mazda s3 which I bought used last August. Yesterday, whilst driving on the road, my car has completely stopped running. No lights on the car, not able to turn it on, no response from the engine. Here are the symptoms before the breakdown, happening simultaneously:

1) My AT light and steering lock light came on, and my steering was locked and unable to move past 3rd gear.
2) Lights on the car, such as the radio etc. are all flashing while this is happening
3) I put my car to a complete stop, turned the engine off and attempted to start it up again, this is when the car has completely stopped responding.

Here is the interesting thing:

Whilst waiting for the tow truck, 20 minutes after the breakdown, my car is now able to start up, the lights come on, the engine seems to be responding, however I cannot drive it. I put it to first gear, but it feels like something is blocking the gas pedal from going all the way down, and the car does not move at all. The engine does not actually rev up.

45 minutes after the breakdown, my car starts up AND i can drive it just fine. Its as if nothing has happened. HOWEVER, my check engine light just magically disappeared. Prior to the breakdown, I had a check engine light for around 5 months, never got around to diagnosing it. After the breakdown, this check engine light just disappears.

Some history of the car:
Bought used at 190k miles. After a month of driving, my car has received the check engine light and I am unable to move past 4th gear. Also, the symptom I mentioned before where the AT light and steering lock light comes on and I am unable to move past 3rd gear and move my steering, this has happened before and to resolve it, I had to put my car to a complete stop & turn off the radio. Thus I do not drive with the radio on. I thought this was a permanent solution, but evidently it is not as signified by my recent breakdown.

My friend thinks that the previous owner did some makeshift work with the wiring under the steering wheel. I do not know much about cars so I am reluctant to bring it to the shop, as I feel like I am an easy target to get scammed on.

Does anyone have any similar issues? And can point me in the right direction, thank you guys!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
You need a professional opinion on this... clearly there is something wrong with your engine and with the electrical system. It could be something as simple as bad battery connections or as bad as your transmission going out.

When you get a check engine light, get the codes read ASAP at a dealership or auto shop (AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.). They will read the codes for free and then it's up to you if you want them to complete the inspection and repairs.
CK

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can also pull the codes with a bluetooth obdii reader and the torque app on your phone.

this is the scanner i use:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts