2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mazda 3 died today. Well not totally but she had a rough drive home. I have a 2004 Mazda 3 manual with 125K. Never had any problems. So I'm not sure what happened. Here's the synopsis - battery light came on way to gas station. got gas --drove fine and battery light went off. next time I drove (dark outside) battery light came on after driving for about 2-3 minutes. ....about 5 minutes later goin onto freeway and my power steering goes out. then my lights dim. then my airbag light comes on. then I put on hazards and lights go out. then stop at stop light and car has little power (engine power) and sputs through intersection about 1/2 mile later, I'm able to coast through stop sign and downhill to my house. so basically I had a total generator failure and my power steering died. any ideas......think my battery died and caused the problem or was it a short in the power steering that caused the battery to die. Agggghhh....125k .....what should I do.?

p.s. apologize if this is an old problem. i haven't seen it addressed for 2004.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yeah your battery is fucked. That's what caused the power steering to go out. Need a battery replacement. But because it went out u prolly have a short somewhere causing the battery to not charge or keep its charge.best you take it into the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well good news. Battery is still under warranty. Waiting for battery to charge up. More to come.
3rd year on a 5 year battery. Sounding like alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts