2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the front timing cover of my 2004 Mazda 2.3L there is a bushing / seal of some sort that seals the joint between a feed line in the timing cover and the front of the engine block. It is is hard and not in good condition. I believe this oil feed line is for the VVT. I can't seem to find a P/N for this seal. Is it available? Any options if it is not available.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think that may simply be the Japanese equivalent of Permatex Grey.

In all seriousness, there are slight differences between the '04-'05 Mazda 3 timing cover and/or block and the '06-'09 Mazda 3 timing cover and/or block. In the engine swap threads where guys were swapping in the 2.5L Ford Duratec engines, anyone who had an '04-'05 had to plug a hole for an unneeded oil passage. There are plenty of good pictures out there to confirm this. If I remember correctly, the oil passage hole was put in there but then not used. Not sure why it couldn't just be left open.

If you do a little research you can find the engine differences. I'll try to look around if I have time. Two of my kids each have an '07 Mazda 3, so I'm quite familiar with the Gen1 outside the '04-'05 years.

Edit: Argh. After thinking about it, you might need that hole, and the gasket material (same stuff you use to seal the timing cover and oil pan) is to make sure oil goes through the oil passage instead of bleeding out. Let me take pictures of the '07 block and timing cover tomorrow. You can post a picture of your block. This might have been a VVT oil feed hole that was done away with later on. I think they re-routed the hole after '05.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You are correct that this oil passage is for the VVT oil feed line. They did away with this hole and feed line in the timing cover after '05. And they plug the corresponding hole in the engine block. See my pics of an '07. The through-holes in the timing cover are circled in blue. These all require permatex sealant in an o-ring fashion otherwise you'll get an external leak. The pulley stuff screws through these holes and into the engine block. The red circles are where your timing cover VVT feed hole is and the blocked-off hole in the engine block. If your engine block has a hole where mine does not, then put permatex around the hole to create an o-ring like seal. Permatex is used for all the other holes because there are no grooves for gaskets. Your Factory Shop Manual instructions will confirm this. You can see permatex sealant pretty well on the engine block holes in my pic. Clean all that stuff off and start fresh. It'll work great.

I attached one pic with red and blue circles, and the same pic without.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts