2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback and noticed that there is a very small coolant leak coming from the bottom drivers side corner of the radiator. Does anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Drain plug is on the drivers' side.

Might be as simple as that; but it would require hunting it down, but it is still a possibility the drain plug seal is broken, or, it just wasn't tightened all the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried tightening it and noticed thats where the leak is coming from but I think I just need a new radiator...will I have to remove the bumper to get the radiator out? I can't find a instruction video or manual to take it out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It could be many things like hose, plugs or even a water pump failure. Best thing to do is to have your car lifted for further inspections.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I just got a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback and noticed that there is a very small coolant leak coming from the bottom drivers side corner of the radiator. Does anyone know what this could be?
Not sure why I was randomly PM'd about this as I don't own a Mazda3 lol, however I have the information you seek.

Here is a link to the 1st gen mazda 3/speed service manual PDF (download it) 1st Gen Mazda3_Mazdaspeed3_Workshop_Manual
After you download it, open it with adobe or similar and go to page 886. The instructions start there. TO answer the PM, It does not appear you need to remove the bumper.
The TOC on that PDF is not clickable, but you can use search (Ctrl+F) to find the topic you want. Keep an eye out for things like "Refer to 01-12A-6 for 'X" (radiator) removal/installation. That is a page number you can type into search so you don't have to keep hitting next on every single search result for your search text.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you tried to tighten it, and it began to leak.... why wouldn't you spend <$5 to try a new drain plug, vs a few hundred $ radiator?
Just... curious on that thought process.a

As far as what has to be done to remove the radiator?
Quite a bit more than just the front bumper. A lot more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts