2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well, got the part today. The part number on the box was correct, the part inside wasn't.....I don't know what it is for but it isn't the right part. Its tiny, smaller than the Mazda 3 caliper bracket. The mounting bolt hole centers are more than 2" too close. It doesn't look anything like a CX-9 caliper bracket..... ?
Prob for a rear? I did notice on eBay that the newer caliper were single pot and the older ones (pre 2015) were dual, so maybe someone screwed up the cross over P/N's cause i cant see them going down to a single pot caliper on a turbo'd larger SUV.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
Prob for a rear? I did notice on eBay that the newer caliper were single pot and the older ones (pre 2015) were dual, so maybe someone screwed up the cross over P/N's cause i cant see them going down to a single pot caliper on a turbo'd larger SUV.
Yes, most likely rear caliper parts, not sure as there are no numbers. I'll have to wait now until I get the right part...Parts listings for CX-9s show the same 2 piston front caliper for newer CX-9s 2016 - 2019 and 2019 CX-5 turbo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It seems that the brakes for most current Mazda cars are interchangeable. If the CX-9 brakes work on the CX-5 as has already been demonstrated, and the CX-5 brakes fit the Mazda6, and the brakes from the Mazda6 bolt right on to the Mazda3, then it follows that the CX-9 brakes should fit the Mazda3.
Once it warms up here in a few weeks this looks to be the next project for me... :)
I want to upgrade the calipers of my 2.5 too. If you put the CX9 calipers, you won't have problems with the ABS system or other?

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I want to upgrade the calipers of my 2.5 too. If you put the CX9 calipers, you won't have problems with the ABS system or other?
The ABS sensors are separate. All they do is detect motion, or the lack of it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The ABS sensors are separate. All they do is detect motion, or the lack of it...
2015 (tb) cx9 2 pot calipers (296mm rotor)do fit on 2018 m3 2.5l. The wreckers gave me the wrong caliper for test fit, I asked for 320mm rotor caliper. In New Zealand we have both options available. Waiting for them to send 320mm. He told me the difference is the caliper bracket bolt holes extend about 10mm longer. I decided to test fit incorrect caliper anyway and it was direct bolt on. The caliper bracket between the two is the only difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Are you sure about the rotors? Can't find info for such 296 mm rotor. Could it be MZ6/CX-5 297x28 mm rotor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you sure about the rotors? Can't find info for such 296 mm rotor. Could it be MZ6/CX-5 297x28 mm rotor?
Yip pretty sure, I thought they only came out with 320mm rotor but all the wreckers in my area soon told me otherwise. I returned the caliper in person, went out the back to a 2014 cx9 pulled front wheel and the rotor was the same 296 (it's actually 295.7). The older cx7s have this exact same setup on all of the ones they had there. I'm waiting for a cx9 320mm caliper to come but have to wait for them to inventory vehicle. There isnt a lot of wrecked cx9s around these parts apparently. As a side note the mazda non turbo mpv here (think they are mazda 5s elsewhere), run the same 296mm rotor/calipers and the turbo models run 320mm setup so they are are going to send one of those too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks for the info. CX7 and MZ5 parts should be easier to find.

Btw FoMoCo = Ford Motor Company?? If that's true then some Ford models may also use them.

All these Mazdas are not performance models, so aftermarket brake pads choice would be still limited I suppose...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
296 front rotors won't be plug and play. They have 72 mm inner diameter compared to 68 mm of MZ3. Custom hub rings will have to be made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For anyone interested, Just got around to test fitting some junkyard 2018 (kf) cx5 2.2 turbo diesel front calipers. These are the same calipers as 2017 plus tc model cx9 and cx8 with turbo motor (all 320mm rotor with same offset and same 68mm centre bore as mazda 3 /twin piston caliper setup). Was a straight bolt on, I'll get some rotors and then post a pic. Note, older model cx9 (tb)/ cx5 (ke)/mpv will not work as they run smaller diameter rotor and different hub size as above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is a little old but would love to see the finished product and how functional it is based on the braking bias with stock master and booster.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts