2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm in process of upgrading my front brakes with 2-pot front calipers. I will try to give you as much information as I can, cause it's a simple and cheap upgrade. So let me start :)

1. What is the goal and why I'm doing it?

The stock brakes don't give me confidence while braking. My daily drive is an Evo X, which brakes have completely different feel compared to Mazda's brakes. The Mazda is mostly used by my wife and by the family when going on trips.
I've been looking for upgrade options. There is very limited choice of brake pads for stock brakes and most of them use ordinary compounds. So I've been looking for front calipers which are used on performance vehicles. That will guarantee that there will be wide range of brake pads to choose from.

One of the requirements is to fit the brakes in 16" wheels, as I want to keep them for the winter.

Will start first with the fronts. For the rears there is a swap with CX-5 setup.

2. Test fitting radial mounted Brembo calipers

First tried a Brembo radial mounter caliper. The main benefit with radial mounted calipers is that they give you freedom to mount them with whatever brake disc you want with the use of bracket support. However the test fitting didn't went well. There is not enough space between the caliper and mounting holes of the knuckle. That's in case I want to fit them in 16" wheels. There will not be a problem if want to use bigger front discs around 320-325 mm, which will require 17" wheels, as the caliper will move outwards the knuckle and will have enough space for a bracket. My summer wheels setup is using 17" BBS wheels from Evo IX, but don't want to drive them in winter, that's why will stick to the initial requirement for 16" winter wheels.

3. Test fitting 2-pot Akebono calipers

My main experience is with Mitsu cars, that's why I reverted back to finding suitable caliper from Mitsubishi.

Some specs:

Caliper used in: Evo IV, Galant VR4, Lancer Ralliart, Outlander
Make: Akebono
Pistons size: 2 x 43 mm bore
Pad dimensions: 149.8mm x 58.6mm, thickness 15.7mm, radial height of brake compound 46.5mm
Original brake disc: 294 x 24 mm

As you can see the caliper is used in several performance vehicles, so won't have problems with choosing brake pads for whatever purpose you want. Also the original brake disc used is with very close dimensions to OEM Mazda specs. That's a bonus as I will use the stock brake discs.

Here are the pics from the test fitting.

Of course it was not direct plug and play :) Otherwise where would be the fun :laugh2:

From the last pic you can see that pad sits a little bit higher, 2.5 mm actually. This means that 300 mm disc can be fitted on this caliper.
Distance between mounting holes of the knuckle is 160 mm. Caliper holes are about 2 mm shorter! Knuckle holes are M14, caliper holes are for M12 bolts. Now when it's mounted it moves a little bit, I can tighten it, but under heavy braking it can move. Can be fixed with mounting a sleeve with M12 inner and M14 outer diameter in one of the knuckle holes. That way the bolt won't move and the other bolt is on the edge of the knuckle hole because of the little shorter mounting distance, so it's not moving. Probably the sleeve will have to be machined on a lathe, but should not be a problem.

One important remark: The caliper support with 158 mm mounting diameter is fitted only on Evo IV and some Galant VR4. The caliper and brake pads are the same for all noted models, however the Lancer, Outlander and some Galant VR4 models are using caliper support with 130 mm mounting diameter!!!

Now about the stock Mazda brake disc. The offset have to be corrected with about 2.3 mm washer between knuckle and caliper mounting holes. That's mainly because of the slightly thicker Mazda disc 24 vs. 25 mm. On the 3rd pic you can see how it fits with the washer.

4. Wheel fitments

There is enough space between caliper and stock 16" Mazda wheel. See for yourself.

Will keep you posted how the progress goes.

Next steps will be find/machine a suitable metal sleeve, order rebuild kits for the calipers (new pistons, seals, floating pins), cleaning and painting the calipers.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Did some calculations on the brake force distribution. Brake bias came out the same with front Evo 4 front and CX-5 rear setup compared to stock brakes.
However the force applied on the brakes is greater. Calculations done with Ferodo DS Performance front pads for Evo 4 front and normal street pads for CX-5 rear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about Wilwood kit? It is available for Mazda3.
BTW -I don't see pictures :(
Are you sure about that? Don't see any kits on Wilwood's site for Mazda 3.

Regarding the pictures, try with different browser. I also can't see them with Firefox, but no problems with IE.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No pics no care 😞

I wouldn't mind two piston calipers if i can use same bracket and my 16" wheels. Otherwise good fluid, pads, and a good bleed is more than enough.

·
*The Electrician*
853 Posts
Alright, 3rd attempt with the pics, hope this time successful...
winner winner chicken dinner 👍 looking forward to future updates here

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Calipers are painted, two layers of red paint. Now they are beautiful :)
Removing the pistons from the first caliper was easy, however the other caliper have stuck piston. I'm pumping air from the bleeder valve, but one of the pistons don't want to move. Have to try with better compressor...

Here are some pics of the painting and rebuild process.

The new slide pins don't have L or G letter on the cap, so I decided to engrave the letters in order to put the pins on their correct position. On the caliper body there are respective L and G markings.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The issue with stuck piston is solved. There was rust on the outer edge, probably the dust seal has had a crack.
Both calipers are fully rebuild. Waiting for pads to arrive on tuesday.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brakes are done! Completed the install today. I'm satisfied with the brake feel, looks great, and overall the install came out really good :)

First want to show you the sleeve which had to made for the knuckle hole. One sleeve per side is needed to snug fit the caliper support.

Next want to show you the clearance of stock disc. No issues at all. On the pic you can see the washer installed between knuckle and caliper support.

Pads installed - Ferodo FDS765. As already said can fit a little bigger brake discs - 300 mm would be fine. Decided to keep the stock brake discs, as they have a lot of life left.

Did not had issues with the brake hose. Fits nicely in the caliper. There is a small guidance pin on the banjo bolt which can be left as it is, no need to cut it.

Definitely recommend this upgrade. Was easy to install. The bolt sleeve is the only one custom thing that needs to be done. You can use the stock brake discs. Pads choice is enormous. Will fit in 16" wheels for the winter. Mission successful! :thumbup 1:

·
*The Electrician*
853 Posts
So when do you start production for the rest of us? 😎😁

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So when do you start production for the rest of us? 😎😁
Haha, well, I won't make profit from this. The kit is fairly easy to assemble, only the sleeve is sort of custom part.

I made mine from a hollow spanner key, don't know whether the name is right, but looks like this:

It's 10-11 mm, you need the pipe section between the 2 holes, which is around 14.1 mm outer diameter. This dimension varies from tool to tool, so have to measure it. You don't want to have free play of the sleeve in the knuckle hole. For example 13.9 mm would not be fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
Only like 3 pics work. I loved the across platform use of the EVO's and DSM's and hope Mazda is the same way.
It seems that the brakes for most current Mazda cars are interchangeable. If the CX-9 brakes work on the CX-5 as has already been demonstrated, and the CX-5 brakes fit the Mazda6, and the brakes from the Mazda6 bolt right on to the Mazda3, then it follows that the CX-9 brakes should fit the Mazda3.
Once it warms up here in a few weeks this looks to be the next project for me... :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts