2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 4 day old, 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback, AWD. My wife hits a pothole last night so Boom goes front right. I install the spare, head a mile to the local tire place this morning to order a replacement. Hit a sewer grate on a road otherwise pretty free of pot holes and Boom goes right rear. I limp a short distance to driveway.

These are Toyo Proxes A40's. As an odd coincidence, the finance guy at the dealer on Tuesday pushed a very hard sell on tire and wheel insurance. I'd never heard of it, so declined and he got real testy for a bit. Wondering if they know these are just junk tires.

Any thoughts ?, just coincidence ?. I'm scheduled now to replace all 4 tires on Tuesday with Generals for $700, plus a AAA ride to tire place. Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
They crazy over inflate tires for the boat ride over to like 50psi. Dumb/Lazy Service Department Technicians don't take them back down to 36psi where they belong. Mine and a lot of people on here came home and discovered they were at 50psi and had to lower. That's my guess, they were over inflated and went flat easier.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you need to get the road hazard insurance from discount tire :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They crazy over inflate tires for the boat ride over to like 50psi. Dumb/Lazy Service Department Technicians don't take them back down to 36psi where they belong. Mine and a lot of people on here came home and discovered they were at 50psi and had to lower. That's my guess, they were over inflated and went flat easier.
Wasn't the case this time. The 2 good tires are at 36 psi

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$700 could get you, or pretty close to getting, a new set of smaller diameter wheels and new tires
Well, I'm going that route, new 16" wheels from Tire Rack and some General Altimax tires from my local Mavis store. Not near $700 though, everything in the NYC area is pricy, with $500 in wheels, near $600 in tires, $250 for TPMS sensors (that I might be able to re-pupose from existing), plus labor, its near double that. BUT, it's an investment in what is hopefully a better ability to handle crappy roads (my wife commutes L.I. to Long Island City, NY).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put General Altimax on my wife's 2016 Mazda 6 and they've been great for that car. Replacing a worn out set of Conti DWS06 ExtremeContacts.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Two things,
1 bump yourself up to 225/45/18 instead of 215/45/18
2. the Continental DWS06 extremes are solid tires and will take a beating.
3. with low profile tires, always, always buy the warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two things,
Too late for the warranty, it’s was only if I was financing. As well. I have already moved to 16” wheels. Car rides great, no issues with potholes

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yea, I went through 5 tires on the dealer warranty program I bought with the car. Nearly paid for the warranty on tires alone.

·
Subaru Defector
18 Posts
Blew a tire and bent a wheel two nights ago. First time ever. I'm covered luckily but of course it was raining at the time.

It's bent on the inside barrel so hopefully I don't have to worry about them matching the black paint on the premium wheels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blew a tire and bent a wheel two nights ago. First time ever. I'm covered luckily but of course it was raining at the time.

It's bent on the inside barrel so hopefully I don't have to worry about them matching the black paint on the premium wheels.
I declined the warranty, which was $850 - $950 ? as I realized A) I would be having to return to the dealer (8 miles away) to get the tire fixed as opposed to my local tire dealer, B) They would only be replacing with the crap Toyo tire and that wouldn't be a long term solution.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I declined the warranty, which was $850 - $950 ? as I realized A) I would be having to return to the dealer (8 miles away) to get the tire fixed as opposed to my local tire dealer, B) They would only be replacing with the crap Toyo tire and that wouldn't be a long term solution.
True, but the real benefit is that the wheels are covered since the OEM versions are frightfully expensive. Having lost two OEM alloy wheels, along with the tires, to potholes, I've already saved more than the insurance cost. Of course, the alternative is to skip the insurance and go with aftermarket wheels and tires thereby saving big money on the wheels and getting the tires of your choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course, the alternative is to skip the insurance and go with aftermarket wheels and tires thereby saving big money on the wheels and getting the tires of your choice.
Which is what I ended up doing. This is my wife's car and replaces an '11 Impreza Outback Sport that also had low profile tires on 17" rims. She lost 2 tires and a rim in 9 years so I was aware of the issues. I almost replaced her rims and tires the 2nd time but calculated that it was cheaper to just get new tires as the vehicle had 70,000 miles on it.

This time with the M3 I was right away included to bite the bullet and go to 16" wheels and tires that are cheaper long run.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'm still saying just bump up the tire size a tad to 225/45/18. I haven't had a tire loss since. I literally had to replace my spare tire because it went bald from so much use. I'm literally an expert at putting my spare on at this point. I did it 14 times in 3.5 years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still saying just bump up the tire size a tad to 225/45/18. I haven't had a tire loss since. I literally had to replace my spare tire because it went bald from so much use. I'm literally an expert at putting my spare on at this point. I did it 14 times in 3.5 years.
This was dealt with in September when I went to a 16” wheel and tire. Thanks though

SB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Two things,
Hi, I just went through 3 tire blowouts in 4 months on a new 2019 Mazda 3 (215/45/18) preferred, and from you posts, is it true that you don't have to change RIMS when bumping up to 225, and what happens to TPMS, Speedometer accuracy, suspension, etc. Thanks for your posts. I don't know much about tires, but this has never happened to me in 40 years of driving. I hope Mazda is reading these posts and paying attention, because this is the worst experience I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi, I just went through 3 tire blowouts in 4 months on a new 2019 Mazda 3 (215/45/18) preferred, and from you posts, is it true that you don't have to change RIMS when bumping up to 225, and what happens to TPMS, Speedometer accuracy, suspension, etc. Thanks for your posts. I don't know much about tires, but this has never happened to me in 40 years of driving. I hope Mazda is reading these posts and paying attention, because this is the worst experience I have ever had.
Just buy and get them installed, they work on the factory 18 inch wheels. Your TPMS might throw an error but if it does it's mainly because it's noticing a change in the rotational speeds just press the reset button a few times when at a stop before you turn off the car and it will readjust. It's not a large change in size. But enough that it makes a large dent in the pothole problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts