2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have 2012 Mazda5 with the 2.5L. i tried looking for more info about the mazda5, but its not a popular car on most forums.

Anyways, since the 2.5L is similar to the 2.5 in the 3 and 6, maybe someone here can shed some light.

I got a check engine light and the code P2016 points to a low voltage to the variable tumble shutter valve sensor. I also went through the service manual. the suggested route of trouble shooting is: check all the connectors' condition and look for ground shorts. if none are found, then replace the entire intake manifold as the sensor is not replaceable.

anyone have any advice on how to tackle this? i prefer not to replace the intake manifold. we checked the connections they look fine. the CEL comes on, but then goes away eventually. so i am assuming the low voltage is happening sporadically. i am also assuming that this is a sensor doesnt actually affect performance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Have you replaced the battery lately? I had a stuttering issue due to a loose negative terminal connection.
It could also be time for a new battery. I would have it tested at your local auto store.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm i guess this is turning out worse than expected.

we used the 60k mile powertrain warranty at the dealer.
dealer replaced the entire intake manifold. drove for 5 miles, CEL is on again.
went back to dealer, replaced the computer, car ran fine, CEL is on again after 10 mins of idling.
same code for tumble shutter.
dealer is out of ideas. i think they will try to get a mazda tech to come out to troubleshoot.

im thinking the computer in the car is throwing out the wrong code so the changing the computer will not help. might be bad software or bad code structure in the firmware for the computer. the 2012 5 was an early model we bought in 2011. worst case scenario is there is something wrong with the wiring hardness.

car has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well we finally got the car fixed, after 1.5 months at the dealer. mazda sent their master engineer to check most of the wiring harness. they eventually found a damaged terminal and got that replaced. the engineer said that either the harness was damaged when mazda got it from their supplier or it was damaged during installation. as the engine torqued, it slowly damaged the harness some more until it created a short and threw out the wrong CEL code. glad to have the car back. so during this time, we got the intake replaced, pcm replaced and wiring harness replaced. lets hope nothing else happens.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was it all covered under warranty? No out of pocket?
car has 57k miles on it and all repair work was covered by the powertrain warranty since it was an engine related issue.
if mazda was not able to fix the car, i probably wouldve complained to mazda corporate with the lemon law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts