2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using in their skyactiv 2.5L motors? I generally use Motul in all my vehicles but wanted to hear what others had to say. I do drive my vehicles harder than most which includes autocross events in the summer. My 2017 Mazda 3 should arrive this week so Im digging into the nitty gritty to ensure the longevity of the motor. I will not be going to the dealership for my oil changes, I use a local performance shop that I trust way more than any dealership. All paperwork will be saved/filed accordingly to ensure my warranty remains intact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I am new here... with a Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0L g165. In Ro the dealers are using Dexelia and Repsol (5w30), but I would chose (your case) RedLine made in USA (0w20 ?!?! for Canada I suppose).

Have a nice day!

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either the Mazda Oil with moly, or Castrol Edge Titanium. Both are synthetics.
Castrol, nope, that's what I use when I have a car burning oil as a cheap oil to burn. You can't tell me not 1 person is using Motul in their Mazda Skyactiv, it would be the optimal choice. More expensive yes, but wayyyy better oil than anything else on the market. And Mazda oil with moly added, why not just use Motul? Unless someone has some concrete evidence as to why I shouldn't use Motul in my Mazda then I have no reason not to use it. Cmon, there has to be at least 1 person on here using Motul.......

·
Registered
170 Posts
Castrol, nope, that's what I use when I have a car burning oil as a cheap oil to burn. You can't tell me not 1 person is using Motul in their Mazda Skyactiv, it would be the optimal choice. More expensive yes, but wayyyy better oil than anything else on the market. And Mazda oil with moly added, why not just use Motul? Unless someone has some concrete evidence as to why I shouldn't use Motul in my Mazda then I have no reason not to use it. Cmon, there has to be at least 1 person on here using Motul.......
Mazda oil in NA is repackaged, not the one that has "high moly"

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is Motul?:dunno:
I use Mobile 1 synthetic in my cars.
Fun fact, Mobil 1 sold in North America is not full synthetic as advertised. One factory is full synthetic and mainly sold in Europe, in Europe there is a way to find out using the product SKU#. But in North America the SKU# is the same whether its from the factory which makes the proper full synthetic or its the other factory which doesn't. I wish I had proper sources to quote for that but it's word of mouth from a local performance shop I trust who goes to SEMA every year and talks to the oil company representatives. That was the information they were given. Motul is what the majority of track cars use, including castrol sponsored cars. There used to be pictures online of a Castrol team putting Motul into their Castrol bottles and pouring that into the cars engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In Ro, I have to use Dexelia or Repsol (5w30) since the dealers/services are using these brands only. Otherwise I'll may loose the warranty (5 years). Also when we are buying a mazda here, the dealer gives us a MES card (Mazda Europe Service) which is referring to road assistance for free in case of troubles, and it's for free and valid as long we are going and making the car maintenance on the mazda authorized services.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Motul is what the majority of track cars use
That sounds like a regional thing. There are a number of oils that have proven suitable for tracking street cars.

Whatever the given shop has for 0W-20 full synthetic is what goes into our Mazda 3. It's changed every 5,000 miles / 8,000 km.

If I were to put the MZ3 on the track, I would start with Red Line 10W30 Race Oil and see what oil temperatures resulted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Whatever the given shop has for 0W-20 full synthetic is what goes into our Mazda 3. It's changed every 5,000 miles / 8,000 km.
Actually, if you decide to run a 0W20, it should be one that is rated for API SN and ILSAC GF5. The Mazda 0W20 isn't bad but I would not trust that oil under high eingine strain since its main purpose is efficiency under low-to-medium engine load. In NA, the Mazda 0W20 is the default filling. In Europe, the default is Mazda's 5W30 (which is a rebadged Total Future NFC since Mazda and Total run a strategic cooperation), possibly chosen due to higher average speeds and, thus, oil temperatures. The western european drain interval is at a maximum of 20000 km or once per year btw.

But if you look into your manual, you will find that you can run a multitude of engine oils from different brands and SAE ranges. If you specifically want a Motul, you can choose the 8100 Eco-nergy or the Motul Specific 913D - both offer the same specifications. You could also run the 8100 X-Clean 5W40 which is also a mid-SAPS formula which is necessary for direct injectors. Or you use a 0W20 from Motul, the 8100 Eco-Lite 0W20 is a perfect match for the factory filling.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the USA, I just use the recommended Castrol synthetic 0W-20. However, in my humble opinion, the best oil is Castrol Edge European Formula made in Germany, but only sold in the Americas. It is the only 0W-20 oil I have found that meets ACEA A3 (which protects the engine from wear better than A5). It also meets toughest BMW spec.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Planning to run Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 on first oil change for my 2.5 in few weeks. I first ran this (5w30 wt) on my 1st gen Mazdaspeed3 when I read that it was good for direct injected engines to minimize fuel dilution in oil. Ran for about 50K miles with solid oil analysis results, and engine felt more responsive and 'peppier' with this oil. It's also widely available and inexpensive. But we'll see how it performs on this motor.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Mazda 0W20 isn't bad but I would not trust that oil under high eingine strain since its main purpose is efficiency under low-to-medium engine load.
We drive this car very conservatively. For us, it's just basic transportation with better-than-average handling for its class. I expect the 0W20 oil is fine for how we use it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I personally use Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 in my car, and change it out every 5K miles. IMO, Motul is overkill unless you track (not autox) your car, as it's unlikely you'll ever see high enough heat where the Motul becomes beneficial. I autox my car, as well as one HPDE with more to come, and I plan on switching to a Motul 5W-30 in the summer.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, if you decide to run a 0W20, it should be one that is rated for API SN and ILSAC GF5. The Mazda 0W20 isn't bad but I would not trust that oil under high eingine strain since its main purpose is efficiency under low-to-medium engine load. In NA, the Mazda 0W20 is the default filling. In Europe, the default is Mazda's 5W30 (which is a rebadged Total Future NFC since Mazda and Total run a strategic cooperation), possibly chosen due to higher average speeds and, thus, oil temperatures. The western european drain interval is at a maximum of 20000 km or once per year btw.

But if you look into your manual, you will find that you can run a multitude of engine oils from different brands and SAE ranges. If you specifically want a Motul, you can choose the 8100 Eco-nergy or the Motul Specific 913D - both offer the same specifications. You could also run the 8100 X-Clean 5W40 which is also a mid-SAPS formula which is necessary for direct injectors. Or you use a 0W20 from Motul, the 8100 Eco-Lite 0W20 is a perfect match for the factory filling.
A local performance shop I know well and trust alot is recommending I try 5W40 Motul. Is this safe for a 2.5L Skyactiv? I generally drive my cars very hard, they always get proper warm up times and generally see high rpms every day. What would the dangers be of trying 5W40? I know Mexico uses 5W30 from the factory and Im not chasing maximum MPG but maximum engine protection from the daily flogging it receives.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A local performance shop I know well and trust alot is recommending I try 5W40 Motul. Is this safe for a 2.5L Skyactiv? I generally drive my cars very hard, they always get proper warm up times and generally see high rpms every day. What would the dangers be of trying 5W40? I know Mexico uses 5W30 from the factory and Im not chasing maximum MPG but maximum engine protection from the daily flogging it receives.
Running a good 5W-40 or 0W-40 like Motul or Redline will be perfectly fine. Just make sure you use a MidSAPS oil with a low-to-medium amount of ash. Direct injectors like the Skyactiv engines do need these oils to prevent ash residue buildup on the intake valves (because the intake valves are not being cleaned by the fuel injection system like they are in older manifold injection engines). Other than that, a regular drain interval is necessary because a 5W-40 and especially a 0W-40 do contain significant amounts of viscosity index improvers which wear down during operation, effectively thinning out your oil.

On the other hand, Mazdas 5W-30 should also be fine for your kind of operation. I also ride my 2.0 Skyactiv pretty hard and the 5W-30 seems to be able to keep up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It'll be fine once up to temp. Just don't beat on it until it is. Back to the topic I use Castrol edge titanium 0W20 because I get it on sale for 34 canadian pesos. I have used Motul and Royal Purple XPR on my old Civic Si. I had the luck of doing a dyno pull on Motul and then the Royal Purple. Granted it was fresh oil with a very high zinc content but I remember is netting 2whp. Thought that was neat. Anyway. This is my daily so I just get the best I can get for cheap. If this was my fun car I would absolutely go for Motul or RP XPR again.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
5W-40 will be very thick for this application. Your going to give up some performance and fuel economy trying to push that weight through. The tolerances on these engines are nice and tight and you should have no issue sticking with a 5W-20. Even if you drive it hard as heck I just don't see the need for it. In my case I have 2x purpose built 2.5L Sky-G racecars and they run Joe Gibbs XP2 which is a 0W-20. Neither of them have any issue at all and they for sure see high load, high temp, and high rpms's alot.

For a more street and better priced option I like Eneos.

Vincent

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5W-40 will be very thick for this application. Your going to give up some performance and fuel economy trying to push that weight through. The tolerances on these engines are nice and tight and you should have no issue sticking with a 5W-20. Even if you drive it hard as heck I just don't see the need for it. In my case I have 2x purpose built 2.5L Sky-G racecars and they run Joe Gibbs XP2 which is a 0W-20. Neither of them have any issue at all and they for sure see high load, high temp, and high rpms's alot.

For a more street and better priced option I like Eneos.

Vincent
I actually spoke with a master Mazda tech(top tech in Western Canada) and was advised to stick with 0W-20 or risk damaging the engine on cold starts, even in the summer. As such it will be 0W-20 Motul next oil change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts