2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is rather new and still less than 1000 miles (around 700 miles/1100km so far)
I noticed that the gear change could be at times a bit jerky (just a little bit) especially when I slowly accelerated. Happened every once in awhile usually at 30kmh-50kmh (15 mph - 30 mph).

Is this normal behaviour and will it get better as the engine gets more broken down?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Djmm,

I've experienced the same thing. I'm currently at 1,500 miles on my 2.5 Mazda 3 Auto and it's still jerky at times. I've been told by the dealership that it is normal but it feels like it isn't. Is your 5th gear giving you a jerkiness as well (35-45 mph)?

·
SpeedySpeedBoy313
52 Posts
My car is rather new and still less than 1000 miles (around 700 miles/1100km so far)
I noticed that the gear change could be at times a bit jerky (just a little bit) especially when I slowly accelerated. Happened every once in awhile usually at 30kmh-50kmh (15 mph - 30 mph).

Is this normal behaviour and will it get better as the engine gets more broken down?
Sometimes at a low speed in 1st gear around 10 miles per hour, I get a slight jerkiness akin to a manual lurch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what gear I was in.... but sometimes when slowing down, I could feel the gear change slight jolt as well. Maybe it's just the nature of the automatic transmission (ie. not very smooth at times?)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have the manual transmission, so I can't comment on the smoothness of the auto (though Mazda aren't exactly known for their auto transmissions, they focus more on the feel of their manuals bigtime) but I can say that due to the fuel maps programmed into the engine, it is very jerky at low speeds. This may be exacerbated by the fact that the factory rear motor mount (aka torque strut) is VERY free-moving and allows a lot of engine movement upon the transition from accel-decel or vice-versa. That transition happens often when putting around at low speeds, making for a jerky ride.

It's an unfortunate thing, and has seriously made me reassess my driving style to smooth out the response (especially since I've been driving manual for less than 2 years) but ultimately you can reduce it only by adjusting your driving style. Modulate the gas pedal very lightly, brake easily, don't go accelerating to 20mph when you gotta stop again in another 100 ft, etc.

tl;dr: your mazda isn't broken it's just very sensitive to driver input (and thus, unfortunately, jerky sometimes)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool thanks for the input. Glad that I don't need to worry about this. It's not annoying or anything as it just happened very quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts