2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2.5L - How much oil? Engine feels a tiny bit slower?!

Well thanks to a suggestion on reddit I finally am able to use my dipstick. I have never had a problem on any other vehicle but on this car the dipstick flat out didnt give me usable measurements (not accurate or precise), my father also tried and had the same results. Now I leave the dipstick out for a few minutes then put it back in to get my reading. Using this technique I get repeatable results.

So now I used 5.21 quarts to reach the top of the dipstick. I do notice a very small decrease in performance, it is possible that it is in my head but I did notice it. I am sure a mechanic or someone who does not drive it everyday would never know, my father drove it the same morning and then after the oil change and said he did not notice a difference. Still I found this odd and thought I would ask you guys what you think?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Well thanks to a suggestion on reddit I finally am able to use my dipstick. I have never had a problem on any other vehicle but on this car the dipstick flat out didnt give me usable measurements (not accurate or precise), my father also tried and had the same results. Now I leave the dipstick out for a few minutes then put it back in to get my reading. Using this technique I get repeatable results.

So now I used 5.21 quarts to reach the top of the dipstick. I do notice a very small decrease in performance, it is possible that it is in my head but I did notice it. I am sure a mechanic or someone who does not drive it everyday would never know, my father drove it the same morning and then after the oil change and said he did not notice a difference. Still I found this odd and thought I would ask you guys what you think?
Cold engine oil should be 1/2 to 3/4 on the stick. Hot engine expanse the oil and it can go past the top mark (full) - foaming not lubricating / mechanical issues

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cold engine oil should be 1/2 to 3/4 on the stick. Hot engine expanse the oil and it can go past the top mark (full) - foaming not lubricating / mechanical issues
I did not know it should be checked with a warm engine. Manual confirms what you said. Thank you very much for the tip. Luckily I did not drive it much and will fix this ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Top of the dipstick? Which top? Full mark line/dot, or the very top of the tube?

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
You said top of the stick. Just making sure. With filter change, it should take 4.8 qts I believe? Is your ground perfectly leveled? My driveway is barely tilted and it affects the level reading.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is new to me. I've read plenty of times that ATF has to be measured hot and it definitely expands with temperature. I did not realize that motor oil expands when hot, at least not an appreciable amount.

I quickly checked the owners manuals for all four different vehicles we have in our stable. They all state the same thing: engine at operating temp, wait 15min, remove and wipe dipstick, check oil level and make sure it's between the upper and lower limits (either hashed area or indicator holes depending on model of car).

Seems like above the upper limit is bad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OP - Maybe you could tell us what grade/spec oil you put in?
Mobile 1 0w-20 with a Napa gold filter. From what I hear both the Napa filter (really a wix filter) and OEM filter are specifically made for our engine while other brands are made to work with many different engines

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK, here is what you've all been breathlessly waiting for!! Or not.

I did an experiment this morning. Our car is always parked in the garage in the same spot. This morning, after it sat all night, I checked the oil level and it was about 1/3 way up the dipstick cross-hatch marks. Garage is kept at 55F.

Then we drove around quite a bit and ended up with about 20min of 60mph driving. Got home and parked in the exact same way in the garage. Waited 20min and checked the oil, and it was about 1/2 way up the dipstick cross-hatch marks. So, engine oil definitely does expand when hot, but not a huge amount.

1/2 - 1/3 = 1/6. I'm not sure how much total volume of oil 1/6 of the dipstick cross-hatch area translates to, but it can't be too much. 1/4 qt at most maybe?

This tells me that I can check my oil level in the morning if I choose, instead of having to do it after driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interestingly enough, I just finished my 1st oil change about 2 weeks ago. I ended up putting in an entire 5q bottle and the oil (when warm) is almost exactly between the notches in the dip stick. Given that the manual only calls for 4.8q for a full change, I found it odd. Checked it in a different location about a week later, and the oil level was the same.

Convenient as I can just empty a full jug for the fill up and use it to dispose of the used oil.

2017 3-GT 2.5L, 6MT

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20 (Full Synthetic)
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter (a touch smaller than OEM)

~Ex

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interestingly enough, I just finished my 1st oil change about 2 weeks ago. I ended up putting in an entire 5q bottle and the oil (when warm) is almost exactly between the notches in the dip stick. Given that the manual only calls for 4.8q for a full change, I found it odd. Checked it in a different location about a week later, and the oil level was the same.

Convenient as I can just empty a full jug for the fill up and use it to dispose of the used oil.

2017 3-GT 2.5L, 6MT

~Ex
I use 5 qts of Mobil 1 0W-20 with Mobil 1 M1-108A oil filter, too.

·
Registered
569 Posts

2017 3-GT 2.5L, 6MT

~Ex
It is interesting. I've changed my oil 3 times now in my 2017 GT Hatch and each time it was a different amount of oil I replaced. Each time, the environment of changing the oil was a bit different...different garages. The last time I put in 4.8 quarts, but the first time I replaced with 5.2 quarts. The 2nd time I replaced the oil I also installed a fumoto valve and 5 full quarts, so I now need to figure out if the fumoto valve is leaving some more residual oil in the pan that otherwise would drain with just a regular plug.

The moral to the story...check your oil level a day or two after doing an oil change to see where you're at as I had to add oil the first time and make sure to drain the oil when it is hot to thin it out and drain as much as possible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just changed the oil in my 2.5. It took 5.2 quarts to get to just below the upper hole on the dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
5,977 Posts
If you need to know the engine oil capacity, or any other fluid capacity, its all in your owners manual, section 9-5.

Engine oil

SKYACTIV-G 2.0
With oil filter replacement 4.2 L (4.4 US qt, 3.7 Imp qt)
Without oil filter replacement 4.0 L (4.2 US qt, 3.5 Imp qt)

SKYACTIV-G 2.5
With oil filter replacement 4.5 L (4.8 US qt, 4.0 Imp qt)
Without oil filter replacement 4.3 L (4.5 US qt, 3.8 Imp qt)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts