2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I have a mazda 2.2 2009 which has oil pressure problems, oil light came on and managed to get the car back home, after dropping the sump I found the oil strainer was blocked solid with carbon, this seems to be a common problem with the 2.2 with leaking injectors, I now have it all back together and I have hooked up my oil pressure gauge to see what readings I'm getting I have yet to start it, as far I can see by looking up inside the bores, checking rod bearings and looking at the cam shaft I think I shut down the engine in time before any serious engine wear happened I cant see any scoring, what I need to know is what oil pressure I should be getting on cold start idle and at warm idle, also if anyone knows the oil pressure readings at 2-3k on a hot engine as well.

This seems to be a problem with the 2.2 from what i'm reading on the net, if anyone has had the same problems then anyone doing this job then you have to take the oil strainer out because the carbon builds up on the inside too and it cannot be cleaned in place, I've attached pics of the strainer before and after, i'm happy the oil pump looks clean, I will be fitting a dash oil pressure gauge after this, least then I can monitor any pressure loss in the future as I'm sure it will happen again when injector seals go again

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same happened to me - blew the engine

Hi - exactly the same happened to me and blew the engine.

Where on the internet can I find more examples of this (how common is the issue)

/MOL

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
i would contact the dealer or pm a service tech on this forum for the proper spec from mazda for the 2.3L motor. a good mazda service department should be more than happy to provide you the specs on correct oil pressures. i think someone on this forum or mazdas247.com has the factory service manual for the 3 that would have the spec you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi KMS1990 - thanks for the response. I am not so much looking for the Specs - but more info on how common this issue is on this engine. It is an MZR-CD 2.2 136 kW (185 hp) Diesel from 2011.
Apparently this engine had a weak spot on the injector seals - leading to a complete failiure of the engine due to blocking of the oil sieve ?? Which happend for me @ 125.000 km mileage.
How common is this? and is there a service bulletin from Mazda that says to change these injector seals??

Thanks

/MOL

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Hi KMS1990 - thanks for the response. I am not so much looking for the Specs - but more info on how common this issue is on this engine. It is an MZR-CD 2.2 136 kW (185 hp) Diesel from 2011.
Apparently this engine had a weak spot on the injector seals - leading to a complete failiure of the engine due to blocking of the oil sieve ?? Which happend for me @ 125.000 km mileage.
How common is this? and is there a service bulletin from Mazda that says to change these injector seals??

Thanks

/MOL
what continent are you on? i am in the united states i did not even realize the 2.2/2.3 ever came in a diesel version i think the op has a gas motor and you have a diesel. i was replying to the op unless i just read the whole thing wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in Europe - the post starting this is an identical engine to mine - failure is caused by exactly the same thing.

/MOL

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
So did you replace/rebuild the injectors to make sure they don't leak? The leaking injector(s) probably caused fuel dilution which lead to an oil pressure decrease and formation of sludge. Also check the oil level to make sure it isn't higher than it was after your last oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engine is toasted - so waiting to hear the response from Mazda - it will be a 10.000 Euro bill.
Root cause is a failing seal on one of the injectors - this is creating a sludge that gunks up the oil sieve - which in turns kills the engine by starving it from oil.
The Construction of the sieve makes it impossible for particles to get away from the sieve Again once they have been trapped - see pics at the top.
Furthermore the oil sieve sits very low in the oil pan - and the oil is not able to drain completely when changing oil. All in all a lethal combination for an engine!
Really poor engineering

/MOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

I have a mazda 2.2 2009 which has oil pressure problems, oil light came on and managed to get the car back home, after dropping the sump I found the oil strainer was blocked solid with carbon, this seems to be a common problem with the 2.2 with leaking injectors, I now have it all back together and I have hooked up my oil pressure gauge to see what readings I'm getting I have yet to start it, as far I can see by looking up inside the bores, checking rod bearings and looking at the cam shaft I think I shut down the engine in time before any serious engine wear happened I cant see any scoring, what I need to know is what oil pressure I should be getting on cold start idle and at warm idle, also if anyone knows the oil pressure readings at 2-3k on a hot engine as well.

This seems to be a problem with the 2.2 from what i'm reading on the net, if anyone has had the same problems then anyone doing this job then you have to take the oil strainer out because the carbon builds up on the inside too and it cannot be cleaned in place, I've attached pics of the strainer before and after, i'm happy the oil pump looks clean, I will be fitting a dash oil pressure gauge after this, least then I can monitor any pressure loss in the future as I'm sure it will happen again when injector seals go again
how did you remove the strainer and the plate that holds it in . Thanks in advance Paul.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If the engine is toast, find a 2.5L Ford engine and do a swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did You find out how to remove the strainer and plate
So my oil pick up was blocked so changed the oil and filter drooped the sump and cleaned out the offending crap in the pick up. All was well for 3 weeks then the oil pressure light reappeared. After reading similar articles changed the injector seals, flushed the engine and changed the filter. I managed to remove the pick up strainer and clean both sides before putting all back with fresh oil. So far so good.
IMG_20200218_115050.jpg
IMG_20200218_151613.jpg
IMG_20200218_151613.jpg
IMG_20200218_173110.jpg
IMG_20200218_173110.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone else with this problem?

/MOL
yes just had the same problem .fortunately managed to get it to the garage quickly and they looked at the sump filter first .sure enough it was blocked with black carbon and caused by a leaking injector seal which ahs now been replaced ..can also be caused by using cheap diesel .short runs and using type & wrong grade of oil..must be ACEA C1 which is a low sulphur low ash oil for engines with a dpf .

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes just had the same problem .fortunately managed to get it to the garage quickly and they looked at the sump filter first .sure enough it was blocked with black carbon and caused by a leaking injector seal which ahs now been replaced ..can also be caused by using cheap diesel .short runs and using type & wrong grade of oil..must be ACEA C1 which is a low sulphur low ash oil for engines with a dpf .
where do the glasses fit ? I didnt have those on my engine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

Hiya just been reading up on this post and was just wondering did u clean the mesh up or did you just replace the mesh and if you did replace would u mind helping me out and sharing where you got the replacement i cant seem to find any many thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts