2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone attest to how the increased mpg and +10 hp feels in comparison to the standard 2.0?
I would imagine it is barely noticeable but if anyone has driven both and can give their first hand experience that would be great.
Currently have a 2010 2.0 and considering upgrading(?) to the skyactiv.
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mostly the initial cost. I have my 2010 paid off so I would need to fork over some more money to get the skyactiv.
Long term cost would probably even it out though..
The other option Im considering is the 2.5 hatch, in either case I am looking to go from my sedan to a hatch.
Since I dont have the 2.5 there wont be any power to "miss" in the skyactiv, but then again the 2.5 I hear has some nice torque :yes:

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
@slipzy has both. he said skyactivs have more power down low but fall on their face up top. The normal 2.0 feels a lot better up top but not as good down low. If you can swing it, get a speed3. You can get 2.5 mpg or better out of a speed if you don't rip ass everywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I upgraded from a 2010 3 5speed manaul to a 2012 3 skyactiv 6-speed manual.... The biggest difference is the gearing.. My 2012 is so much more pleasant to drive. And you'll find more power on all ends of the spectrum, if you know how to drive stick.

That's my 2 cents. Was definitely worth the upgrade, especially since my drive to work is 80 miles round trip.

·
Drumming Mazda Enthusiast
24 Posts
Get the 2014 Skyactiv, best of both worlds! If you can't wait then either the Skyactiv hatch if u don't want to spend, or the Speed3. To me the benefits of the 2.5 are not as obvious.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree get the 2.5L skyactiv, ~185hp and ~180lbs torque I think. Combine that with the light weight, the friction reduction in the engine/tranny, the low drag coeficient and the fact that i'ts pure non-turbo power you should be able to keep up with all the 200hp cars out there. eg. unmodded GTIs, WRX, Civic si coupe, etc. I'm kinda pissed I didn't have the 2.5L option... =(

Reactions: MazdaDrummer

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
No way it'll touch a wrx. The other's will be close I suppose. The new MS3 is going to have a turbo 2.0 with 200 hp from what I read. So there better be something real special to make it fast.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Dont bother upgrading right now wait until the new 3 comes out or even get a mazda 6 skyactiv twin turbo diesel! Save your money. I wish I had my car paid off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts