2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my first service coming up at the 4 month mark, I have the little wrench icon just turn on and I have only 2600 miles on the car. Quick questions - I have the first 2 oil changes covered by the dealership (they gave me coupons when I bought the car). I'm pretty sure it's for regular oil and filter. Is it worth it to switch to full synthetic/Mobil 1 filter at this time or should I just use the conventional oil for the 1st 2 and then switch? When did you guys switch to Synthetic oil? At the first service I see it's just the oil change and some cursory inspections right? How much did this cost at the dealership?

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
I have my first service coming up at the 4 month mark, I have the little wrench icon just turn on and I have only 2600 miles on the car. Quick questions - I have the first 2 oil changes covered by the dealership (they gave me coupons when I bought the car). I'm pretty sure it's for regular oil and filter. Is it worth it to switch to full synthetic/Mobil 1 filter at this time or should I just use the conventional oil for the 1st 2 and then switch? When did you guys switch to Synthetic oil? At the first service I see it's just the oil change and some cursory inspections right? How much did this cost at the dealership?
My first service was free.
However, at 2600 miles and 4 months, your service light should not be on. According to Mazda, the service interval should be 6 months/7500 miles or a maximum of 12 months/10k miles depending on which schedule you choose.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2016/2016-mazda3-maintenance-schedule.pdf

The dealer most likely did not set the service indicator function when the car was prepped for sale, or is just trying to get you in to sell you some overpriced maintenance items. I know which one I would go with.:surprise:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe it's set for severe driving which is 4 months and 5K miles.

I have the first two services free. I have read that the Skyactiv 2.5 requires full synth 0w20? Is that what tge dealerships are required to use?

·
Registered
170 Posts
My stealership disabled my scheduled interval on the get-go LOVE IT!

Depends where you live and what type of weather you face, when in doubt go with the manual.
I run M1/Castrol all Synth 5w20 summer and 0w20 winter

I'd encourage you go do it yourself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm pretty sure most if not all Mazda dealerships use Castrol all Synth 0w20, mine does.

Back in the day they used to do 500-1000 mile oil changes on new cars to get any remaining manufacturing gunk out of the system. But cars today are built pretty clean so the first oil change at 4k is fine. I did mine at 6k since they used synth.

If they are not using synth just make the switch after the free oil changes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I went 10k on every oil change on our 2010 VW Jetta TDI. If a turbo diesel can go 10k miles, a gasoline engine should no sweat. On the TDI, it was 5w30 Castrol specially made for it. VW saw they've never had an oil-related engine failure with these 10k intervals.

Sticking with 0w20 Mobil 1 on the 3 and the Miata. Got about 1500 miles to go on the 3 and about 2000 on the Miata. For initial oil change, I'll drain it from the sump. After that, I plan to use the extractor. Wish it would be accessible up above like I've been used to on the 1983 240D and Jetta TDI.

Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts