2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about engine swapping my mazda 3. i have the 2.0 in there now and id like to swap to the 2.3 so i can bolt on a turbo later on, about how much would it cost me and what would i need to change other than the brakes?

·
Registered
301 Posts
im thinking about engine swapping my mazda 3. i have the 2.0 in there now and id like to swap to the 2.3 so i can bolt on a turbo later on, about how much would it cost me and what would i need to change other than the brakes?
Don't bother with a 2.3L. I just finished installed a 2012 Ford Fusion 2.5L into my daughter's 2007 3i (2.0L) after her engine blew a head gasket. Good power and torque, very driveable and surprisingly quiet and smooth sounding.

Costs more to swap a 2.5L into a 2.0L because you need to source a 2.3L oil pan, a 2.3L timing cover, and a 2.5L IM and TB. Also have to replace the passenger side motor mount with a 2.3L PSMM because the 2.0L head is shorter (that's why you need the 2.3L timing cover).

Despite the Fusion engine being young with just 20k miles on it, we changed out the thermostat (mazda), front and rear main seals, most gaskets and filters, crank pulley washer, diamond friction washers for the crank pulley, flex plate bolts, spark plugs, IMRC valve pair (old one was shot), vacuum tubing, etc. etc. etc. Tried to get the engine to a point where she could put 150k miles on it without worry. Total cost was about $1700 whereas the engine itself was $850. Can it be done more cheaply? Sure. But this being my daughter's I wanted her car to be reliable, dependable, and driveable.

I shopped around for a head gasket repair job. In my area the cost was about $2000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts