2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
What worries me is chinese headlights have always sucked at light output, so now all these people slapping on fake lights are sharing the road with me.
the seller did send me some pics and i think the guy that has them installed stated they have pretty good output, but you are right, its a gamble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The pics that djotenp6712 posted are the OEM plugs for the halogens and bixenons respectively. The plug for the bixenons have extra pins for the motors in the upper spec 3's that turn with the car in corners.

Light output is good. They're considerably brighter than the halogens. Most of these headlights on ebay will have have 35w ballasts. I had to angle then down a bit from factory because they were too blinding for oncoming cars.

·
More free time than money
364 Posts
The pics that djotenp6712 posted are the OEM plugs for the halogens and bixenons respectively. The plug for the bixenons have extra pins for the motors in the upper spec 3's that turn with the car in corners.

Light output is good. They're considerably brighter than the halogens. Most of these headlights on ebay will have have 35w ballasts. I had to angle then down a bit from factory because they were too blinding for oncoming cars.
OEMs spend millions of dollars developing safe and legal headlights and go through thousands of revisions. Call me a cynic but I doubt some random factory in china went through all of that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
OEMs spend millions of dollars developing safe and legal headlights and go through thousands of revisions. Call me a cynic but I doubt some random factory in china went through all of that.
Thats why these aftermarket headlight have the same lens shape. THey reuse the same housing / lens layout so that they dont have to design it beside reusing it saving themselves the hassle of designing something that works.

Now it comes down to the material that they use and if it hold up overtime. Made in china stuff have come a long way for sure. Otherwise they will just make stuff that wont sell.

·
364 Posts
Thats why these aftermarket headlight have the same lens shape. THey reuse the same housing / lens layout so that they dont have to design it beside reusing it saving themselves the hassle of designing something that works.

Now it comes down to the material that they use and if it hold up overtime. Made in china stuff have come a long way for sure. Otherwise they will just make stuff that wont sell.
I wasn't talking about the shape of the headlight, I was talking about its light output. Many replica headlights look identical to the oem units but do not have anywhere near the same output. It is a proven fact among people in the industry that replica lights just are not safe.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wasn't talking about the shape of the headlight, I was talking about its light output. Many replica headlights look identical to the oem units but do not have anywhere near the same output. It is a proven fact among people in the industry that replica lights just are not safe.
The light output used to be a big deal but mostly the stylish aftermarket was the one with the horrendous output and not the replicas. Not to say that the output with the replica is great but its not horrible. Any kind of nonOEM standard changes to headlight can be unsafe. However if it is in a dangerous level there is no way anyone would be buying it.

Putting in HID into a OEM refractor type headlight is way more unsafe than some output lost from a projector type headlight with good cutoff IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts

How do you angle them down a bit? Does the aftermarket sgt headlights have manuel leveling?

·
Registered
6 Posts

So it would be possible to install these after market headlights on a 3? Just by doing some rewiring and modifying the plug?

·
Registered
350 Posts
So it would be possible to install these after market headlights on a 3? Just by doing some rewiring and modifying the plug?
These were made for the 3. As for wiring, who knows if you end up needing to splice things... thats the problem i have with aftermarket headlights. some say plug and play but doesnt plug in at all..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Not yet, but the package was already in my country. Hopefully i can get it this week.
Awesome, what model do you have? S Touring S GT etc? and where are you located.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome, what model do you have? S Touring S GT etc? and where are you located.

I am from Philippines. We only have 2 variants here. I have the 1.5 liter engine with halogen lamps.

This is my connector looks like.

This is the connector from the aftermarket headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I am from Philippines. We only have 2 variants here. I have the 1.5 liter engine with halogen lamps.

This is my connector looks like.

This is the connector from the aftermarket headlight.

So it is two different connectors, and definitely not plug and play. Let us know how the install works. If possible could you do a write/tutorial? it would be great and help us all out if we want to buy these too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the package yesterday. Upon checking, it is not really plug and play on my car. I am no expert when it comes to wiring so i need to find an auto shop specializing on this matter.

Package comes with a pair of headlamp, bulb, ballast and wiring harness.

·
364 Posts
I got the package yesterday. Upon checking, it is not really plug and play on my car. I am no expert when it comes to wiring so i need to find an auto shop specializing on this matter.

Package comes with a pair of headlamp, bulb, ballast and wiring harness.

What bulb size, and can you get wall shots from 25' away once they're installed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What bulb size, and can you get wall shots from 25' away once they're installed?

H7 bulb. Yes, i will post the lighting output of my car once installed.

For the mean time, here are the sample pictures from the seller.

I cannot find a shop near my area so i reached out the seller and he told me how to install the headlight step by step. I think i can do it myself. You dont need a new plug. Basically, you just need to cut the wires of low beam and high beam from the headlight aftermarket connector and connect it to the OEM harnes socket of the car using wire connectors.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts