2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just finished placing my order for four 18 x 8 OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black painted) + four 215/45/R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires from tirerack.com. It came out to $2428 with shipping. They said it should take 1 week to get to hawaii since I got it mounted and balanced for free.

I hope they look good on my black 2014 Mazda ISV, 35% ceramic tint all around, and black OEM rainguards!

Also, I hope they sit flush with my outside fenders, otherwise, I might have to get some spacers.

I'll post pics as soon as they are installed :)

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
You ended up getting the +48 offset wheels? You will need spacers to fine-tune the fitment. Bolt them on and measure at that time how much spacer you want. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You ended up getting the +48 offset wheels? You will need spacers to fine-tune the fitment. Bolt them on and measure at that time how much spacer you want. :)
Hey Color,

You don't think the 18x8 wheels with +48 offset will be flush? How much do you think it's going to be receded into the fender?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
18x8.5 +45 on very conservative camber settings (0-1deg) is still not flush to the fenders, front or rear. So 18x8 +48 is going to be even farther away. Tirerack doesn't offer flush fitments, they can't lol. Flush fitments will always rub on the Mazda3 without fender modifications.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires need wet-tire spray ASAP!

18x8 OZ Ultraleggera wheels (+48 offset) with 215/45/R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires

Front wheels are basically flush with fender :D

Back wheels are receded into the fender about 10mm.

Before

After

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly, I dont think i can lower my car.

I lowered my 2006 mazda 3 and the ride was super stiff, struts were blown in no time, struts leaked out, too low, got stuck couple times, had to wreck the underside of my car, etc.

Also, in Hawaii, there is a mandatory safety check every year. And if you lower your car, then you also need to pass recon and get a recon sticker... so it's just too much hassle to lower a car in Hawaii.

The wheel gap is pretty disheartening though. If I lowered it 2 inches, it would make such a huge difference... sigh.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Looks good! After looking at yours, I might decide to go more aggressive with 19's, but this is a great reference point! Can you not get away with a subtle drop? Like 0.5" or something?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good! After looking at yours, I might decide to go more aggressive with 19's, but this is a great reference point! Can you not get away with a subtle drop? Like 0.5" or something?
I agree. Looking back on it, I think 19" rims would be the perfect size wheel for a 2014 mazda 3.

I keep looking at my 18" rims, and thinking to myself that they are just a tiny bit undersized :(

But if you go 19" wheel, guarantee you are going to be adding weight per corner : \

·
Registered
278 Posts
that first pic is glorious. i wanna go with gunmetal wheels since my car is also black, but the black on black looks really good.
do you have anymore pics of the tint? i was thinking 30-35%. not too dark not too light

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More Pics of 35% Ceramic tint (All Around)

that first pic is glorious. i wanna go with gunmetal wheels since my car is also black, but the black on black looks really good.
do you have anymore pics of the tint? i was thinking 30-35%. not too dark not too light
[/URL

Sorry, these are the only pics I have now of the tint. Only the first pic really shows how dark it is. I'd say go 30% if you can. 35% is still too light for me. You can still easily see in and out of my car with 35% (as seen in first pic). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Jojoyoking and @color0 im thinking about putting 2008 RX8 rims on do u think i will have a problem with running the same tire @jojoyking is running with a 18x8 +50 offset on a i touring without any spacers or anything just the rims or will i have to add something.

·
Registered
150 Posts
also how much do u have between the wall and the tire cause i dont know if that +2 is going to rub

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ever since I made the mistake of going with wheels too small on my car, I use this website: Tire Size Comparison

To get an idea of what new wheels will look like on my car, I put my current wheel specs as "tire 1", and whatever I'm looking to upgrade to as "tire 2". Then I look at the diameter field to see if it will fill the wheel well more or less.

Bigger rims doesn't always fill the wheel well any more, depending on the tire sidewall height.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Jojoyoking and @color0 im thinking about putting 2008 RX8 rims on do u think i will have a problem with running the same tire @jojoyking is running with a 18x8 +50 offset on a i touring without any spacers or anything just the rims or will i have to add something.
With 18x8 +48 offset wheels with 215/45/18 tires:

Front = tire clears the fender by 3 mm (the top of the tire clears the back on the fender by 3 mm) (the fender is pretty thin in the front)
Back = tire clears the fender by 2 mm (the fender is pretty thick in the back)

So 18x8 + 50 offset would be receded into the fender by 2 mm more.

So with 18x8 +50 offset with 215/45/18 tires:

Front = tire should clear fender by 5 mm
Back = tire should clear fender by 4 mm

And you definitely have enough back spacing. I have a lot more than 2 mm of available back spacing.

So the 2008 Rx8 wheels should fit just fine with no rubbing issues. If you slammed it, you might rub on hard turns due to the front wheels. But I don't think so.

These are all my best guesses. Please don't sue me if i'm wrong :]

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
@Jojoyoking why not just get coilovers thatvway you raise the car to stock to pass inspections. I see plenty of Hawaiian people do it! Dooooo Itttttttttt!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
With 18x8 +48 offset wheels with 215/45/18 tires:

Front = tire clears the fender by 3 mm (the top of the tire clears the back on the fender by 3 mm) (the fender is pretty thin in the front)
Back = tire clears the fender by 2 mm (the fender is pretty thick in the back)
So then these wheels are pretty flush? I thought you originally said the rears had another 10mm to go? And from the original pictures it looked like the rears were exactly that. These newer photos don't seem like that's going on any longer. Are you using spacers on the rears now?

If the rears are in fact 10mm inward, then I'm planning on 18x7.5 +48 for the fronts and 18x7.5 +35 for the rears. The +35 rear extends another 7mm from your 18x8 +48. The front will be retracted by 6mm and I'll just use a spacer if I need to. I say that because I'm going to mount 235/40-17 tires all around. Or maybe I should just stick with +48 all around because the 235 tire is 20mm wider than the 215s.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts