2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 iSport came with stock 16" Bridgestone Ecopias w/hubcaps. I found a seller selling his Stock 18" Dunlops with allow wheels for $600 (he says that he switched them out after 5k miles). Im the worst at all things tires and wheels so would this be a good deal? If not any other suggestions? thanks!

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Personally would not do that because the stock Dunlops are not tires I want to drive on. I would instead buy 18" OEM wheels (if you want them), from a fellow member here who is selling them, and use your difference (roughly $200) toward buying new 18" tires. Or if you do not want the OEM Mazda 18's, buy an aftermarket wheel you like (and recommending shopping on line at Discount Tire and TireRack for their wheel options).

Regarding the tire part of your question, below is a TireRack comparative analysis of the stock Dunlops vs two other 18" tires that a lot of other M3R members are running.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Michelin X-ice tires I feel are better all around tires. Especially in steering response compared to my oem Dunlops. Soon I hope to buy BF Goodrich G-force comp2 A/S tires. Great price and great performers I've been told by car buddies running them.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I do a lot of research on TireRack's site, but with that knowledge, then buy what I want from Discount Tire and have been buying from them long before I even know about this forum, that they are a M3R forum vendor.

Discount Tire currently has a $60-100 off sale on some of their tires that will do well on our cars, plus they always have discounted wheels for me too.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...instantly-discount-tire-direct-ebay-sale.html

·
Super Moderator
5,585 Posts
My 2015 iSport came with stock 16" Bridgestone Ecopias w/hubcaps. I found a seller selling his Stock 18" Dunlops with allow wheels for $600 (he says that he switched them out after 5k miles). Im the worst at all things tires and wheels so would this be a good deal? If not any other suggestions? thanks!
If those are the OEM 18" alloys they are just slightly better than the steelies you have now. The tires on the other hand are crap.

So, you can spend $600 on mediocre rims with crap used tires that weigh a ton then spend another $600 or so on decent tires, or, you could spend the same amount or less on decent lightweight 17x7.5" rims (Advanti, Konig, Traklite) and put good rubber on them.
Look for MX5 rims, 3rd Gen 2006-2015. Those have the same bolt pattern and fit the Mazda 3 pretty well.:smile2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the suggestions guys, decided to just buy some tires and wheels from your recommendations! :thumbup1 1:

·
Super Moderator
5,585 Posts
Be sure to do plenty of research before you buy. There are good rims and not so good rims.
Your choices are light, strong, cheap. Pick two, you can't have all three. Don't skimp on cheap heavy gravity cast rims. Flow forged are fairly inexpensive, light and strong enough for most uses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts