2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've really got my heart set on some 17x9's and I'm debating what combination of offset and tire width will make this happen.

First and foremost, whats in the title, 245/40-17 is super close to stock diameter and would be a nice upgrade over my 205/55-16's. I know warlord and dunston have 18x8.5 et42 with like 225/40's...

I'm guessing I may have to run a 235 or 225 but I figured I'd ask if a 17x9 245/40-17 could be pulled off being that it's a little smaller diameter wheel than the 18.

Also, what would be the proper offset for a 17x9. Not sure the clearance between the shock and rim as well as the fender with a 245 tire.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is a guy running 17x9 +35 offset. He doesn't rub. Wheel diameter shouldn't matter when you're measuring wheel width for fender/strut clearance. You still want to get close to the overall stock wheel diameter whether it's 17 or 18 inch wheels.

Offset can be tricky. Some guys rub on 18x9 +30 and some don't. Either way, be prepared to roll your fenders with a 9 inch wheel.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Do you know where exactly you rub when you do in certain situations. I'm wondering if your rubbing is due to the outside of the tire rubbing the fender, the inside of the tire rubbing the plastic guards and/or shocks or if the tip of the tire is rubbing the guard due to overall tire diameter.

I took a look at the difference between your wheel and tire package and what I'm looking at on one of those wheel/tire/offset/stretch calculator and here's what I came up with...

225/40-R18 mounted on 18x8.5ET42 (confirmed fit by Dunston and Warlord)
Vs.
235/40-R17 mounted on 17x9.0ET45 (hoping will fit)

According to willtheyfit.com my tire wheel combo isn't too far off from yours it looks like. The outside edge of the tire is in about the same place as your setup. The wheel itself has more poke, but the tire edge doesn't really stick out any more so I'm hoping I won't need to roll my fenders any at least. Not to mention a 235/40-17 is 1.8 cm smaller overall in diameter when compared to a 225/40-18 so that should help a bit too.

The one thing I am worried about is the inset. A 17x9et45 has 9.3mm or about 1 cm less clearance between the tire/rim and the strut/shock.

I guess my question would be to Dunston and Warlord... How much clearance would you estimate you have between the shocks and rim? I think that's my only issue I might run into clearance wise.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
There is plenty of room on my car between the tire and struts. Also my wheels are +48 offset. I have not had any rubbing on the fender just a very slight plastic rub on a full hard u turn and that only happened once. If you are really concerned about fitment and having the possibility of having to roll your fenders you might want to look at some other safer options.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
With 9"+45 you'll probably have run a thin spacer in the front to keep off the strut. Anywhere between 2-5mm. That's how it is with the first gens.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is plenty of room on my car between the tire and struts. Also my wheels are +48 offset. I have not had any rubbing on the fender just a very slight plastic rub on a full hard u turn and that only happened once. If you are really concerned about fitment and having the possibility of having to roll your fenders you might want to look at some other safer options.
With 9"+45 you'll probably have run a thin spacer in the front to keep off the strut. Anywhere between 2-5mm. That's how it is with the first gens.
I'm actually looking at some 17x9 ET48's now instead of 45, so with the same offset as Dunston's and only a half inch of extra width (divided by two) means only a quarter inch of extra inset towards the strut. If there is that much extra room as Dunston claimed, then I think a quarter inch could slide by right?

Reason I'm looking at the 48 offset is because I was looking on tirerack and stumbled across the TR Motorsport C3 wheels. I looked as if I owned an RX8 since they won't show you any wheels with aggressive fitment for the MZ3. They're running a sale on the steel gray coated ones (which would look SICK on my liquid silver sedan).

Here's what they look like...

Here's the kicker... in that specific color and size... (17x9 5x114.3 ET+48 Steel Gray) they're going for $129 a wheel. I might also add that even at 9" wide they only weigh 19 pounds.

Needless to say, I'm frantic to come up with 500 bucks to snag some of these to mount up when the weather turns nice. I'm hoping this sale price stays for a bit!!!

·
zoom zooom
21 Posts
Yeah im running a 215/45 tire on my 9. It has a slight stretch but it keep the tire tread under the fenders and my fenders aren't rolled.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dunston!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. I can't quite tell if the strut is even all the way down though. It looks like it almost tapers a bit and gives more clearance but I can't tell if its a reflection or something. If you don't mind, what kind of tires are those as well? They look like a pretty aggressive tread that would probably run wider too. What would you estimate the closest clearance to be (like between the biggest bulge in the sidewall to the closest part of the strut) and the clearance from the actual rim edge (bead) to the strut. Any chance of getting a picture of how flush your tires and fenders are/clearance? I also can't remember if your fenders were rolled or not. I remember Warlord's were because he had +42ET wheels and I think some pretty wide rubber as well.

Also, can anyone give an average or at least ballpark range of how much room can be gained by rolling the fenders on the 2nd gen 3's?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tires are Federal SS 595's. I did not roll my fenders and have not had any rubbing issues.
Also very helpful to know since FATeral's run so wide. I was also considering these tires as well because they look amazing with a very small stretch and I think that extra half inch wheel width should do it :D

Do you by any chance have a thread about your car build or Warlord's? I plan to roll my fenders slightly so I think Warlord's fitment is pretty much spot on with what I'm looking to achieve.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I didn't roll my fenders. I cut the lips off with a dremel and then sealed the inside edges with polyurethane caulk to prevent any rust issues. Just the rear fenders needed modification. Here's a finished pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't roll my fenders. I cut the lips off with a dremel and then sealed the inside edges with polyurethane caulk to prevent any rust issues. Just the rear fenders needed modification. Here's a finished pic.

From what it looks like, you didn't have to remove the whole lip? Looks like only the top 12" or so of the lip on the arch is removed?

Thanks for the great pic! Do you have any shots down the side of the car from front/back/top. I'm really trying to dial in my offset to a T. Trying to avoid spacers at all costs, even if only 5mm, so any shots of how the wheel lip sits with the fender would be MUCH appreciated! I've seen you're car in a few threads but can't remember which ones or if there were any shots down the side of the car.

Also, did the paint near the cutting disk on the dremel chip away, burn, discolor, or anything else along those lines? I've got a dremel and that looks easy as hell but I'm wondering the pros/cons to that method versus rolling/pulling the fender.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts