2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but not found any real answers.

I see a ton of ads for aftermarket mud guards that advertise they fit '14-'16 models.

Does anyone know if the hatch rear bumper tweaks on the '17 affect the rear mud guards? I'm trying to determine if I buy ones listed for a '16 if they'll fit.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was looking on the official maza accessory (mazda gear) website. The front splash guards are the same as it lists all models they fit and it fits all the 3's from 2014 to 2017. But it seems the rear ones work on everything except (not listed) is the new 17 hatchback. I don't see another option for a different guard even offered. I may give them a call to see if they even been manufactured yet because I think I want them for my car.

But anyway even if your going with (non mazda) aftermarket guards I suppose that info is enough to assume that the rear guards for a 2017 hatch are inded different and therefore I wouldn't order anything from aftermarket sellers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
and so....I just got off the phone with Mazda. The rear splash guards are indeed different for the 2017 hatchback due to the body tweaks back there. And they don't even make them yet but best the person could tell me is that they may be available in the near future but he couldn't even say for certain if or when.

So if you found any aftermarket "made to fit" guards and they indicate a fit for 2014 through 2017 they would be incorrect for the rear wheel wells on the new hatchback.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I haven't had a chance to try the dealer myself yet. One dealer actually lists them online (only one relatively close to me that lists accessories online) as 14-17, and several other aftermarket listings. That's why I wanted to ask to be sure.

I'll just hold out for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was considering the OEM mud guards, but they look really small and adding not much of a protection.
Ended up installing the Rokblokz flaps, the short version. Very easy to install. Did not have to remove any wheels.
Look good - can you take a better photo from further behind?

I'm thinking of gettin them - just a matter of whether to get the short or long ones.

Are you running stock suspension?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah I get sick of running into every single website, including mazda, that doesn't even acknowledge that they make a 2017 Mazda 3....WTF people...it's December!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is another photo, from a little bit further behind.
Everything is stock. Have not made any mods to the car.
Awesome - yeah i'm convinced! Short ones are the way to go! I want subtle but effective!

Just concerned that they cover so much less of the dirt and gravel getting ripped up by the tires!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is another photo, from a little bit further behind.
Everything is stock. Have not made any mods to the car.
wow, it looks nice. That short ver. looks just right to my eyes. Will get ones for mine !

Thanks alot for sharing mate / (...any reason you pick the white decal vs blue ?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks.
For the decal color - was not sure how the blue would look like. The color I choose is gray. The decal itself is a sticker that you apply on the flaps. In the package there are 4 sticker - one for each flap. I put decals only on the rear flaps.

BTW, this little tool saved me from having to remove the rear wheels:
Anex 425 Low Profile Hex Bit Ratchet (you can find it on Amazon)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Question on these RokBloxz. Will it work on a 2017 hatch? Also any need for drilling into any plastic? Curious as RallyArmor shows in the instructions that you need to drill for the rear. Also what do the long ones look like?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, they will work on '17 hatch. This is what I installed them on.
Drilling is required for the rear flaps only, in the underlying plastic cover. The instructions you get with the flaps have some photos to show the process.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, they will work on '17 hatch. This is what I installed them on.
Drilling is required for the rear flaps only, in the underlying plastic cover. The instructions you get with the flaps have some photos to show the process.
It seems all the flaps require drilling or cutting and not sure I'm into doing that to my new baby. How many holes on each rear side are needed?

So the decals don't come preinstalled? I don't want them things on there. I prefer the Rally Armor look for whatever reason based on the pics but are the RokBlokz the same thing just not glossy?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
It seems all the flaps require drilling or cutting and not sure I'm into doing that to my new baby. How many holes on each rear side are needed?

So the decals don't come preinstalled? I don't want them things on there. I prefer the Rally Armor look for whatever reason based on the pics but are the RokBlokz the same thing just not glossy?
I have the RA's on my WRX; they only come glossy, whereas as per @dim's great pictures, the Rokblokz only come toward a matte -- but not 100% dull.

Just a thought on the glossy RA's, that they show the dirt and dust more than Rolblokz, and as mud flaps are close to the gourd, they pick up dust just going down the road. Hence why I will be getting the Rokblokz on my 3.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@grendels_m3 - Yes, the decals come separate. I put two of them on the rear flaps only. You get 4 decals (stickers).

For the drilling - for each side, I believe it was three holes that you need to drill. All in the plastic cover only. The plastic is under the rear fenders. You need to remove it first (described in the instructions as well). The drill locations are pretty much marked, already. Two of the holes are on the side (for the two side flap screws) and one is towards the inner, for the inner flap screw. When you remove the plastic cover, you will see on the side it has two rectangles close to the the edge. This is where I drilled the side holes. For the inner hole - there was some mark there as well. Of course, always measure twice before drilling :)

For me, drilling the holes was not an issue, as long as I did not have to drill in metal. If I had to drill in metal, I would not go for these flaps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for pictures of the short ones, couldn't find pictures anywhere and was having a hard time deciding between short and original length. I just ordered the short ones after seeing this post.

Perhaps the short offers a little less protection, but I think the key area it protects is the side and corner of the wheel-well, so for that it should be good. And aesthetically I think it looks much better than the original length ones, particularly due to the rounded shape of the car's back-end.

Can't wait to install these!

·
Registered
720 Posts

SPLASH GUARDS, FRONT
Protect your paint finish from rocks and other road debris.

Click to see a Larger image

DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER PRICE

FRONT PAIR. BLACK PLASTIC BHN1-V3-450 $69.95

SPLASH GUARDS, REAR
Protect your paint finish from rocks and other road debris. Black Finish. (Set of 2)

Click to see a Larger image

DESCRIPTION PART NUMBER PRICE

REAR PAIR. BLACK PLASTIC BALW-V3-460 $76.98

1 - 20 of 20 Posts