2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To read about the center console removal, it is simple, i.e., just pull up on the rear of the center console and push it forward at the same time.

However, on my '17 (with its sliding cup holder cover like a Mazda 6), while I can pull up the front "corners" of the center console disengaging the first couple of clips moving backward on each side, there is something I am missing about my not getting its rear part removed, i.e., the rear will not budge (short of brute upward force and my breaking something that I do not want to do). Couple of clips I am not aware? Something part needing to be removed first? Hidden screws? Place where a trim tool needs to be inserted?

BTW, this is all heading toward replacing the shift boot with Napa leather...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/tricks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
(content with Salamanca leather)

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry if my post came off as snooty. It was not meant that way, just my asking for help.

Trying to do a mod I want, and in the process to not damage my car.

Any ideas please?

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
I am sorry if my post came off as snooty. It was not meant that way, just my asking for help.

Any ideas please?
You might be able to get you your local Mazda dealership service department to show/tell you how it's done. Occasionally they will be nice enough to share, not always tho. Napa leather eh? Big balla lol, is the wife that picky? ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was just search for the same answer. I have the corksport shifter bushing kit I want to install. The direction that came with it are for the previous year without the electronic ebrake. Sent an email to them to see if they have an updated version for the 2017+ cars

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you @Doogle510, and thanks in advance for sharing what you learn from CorkSport.

I also like the suggestion made by @Midnightsky228 to seek dealership help, and if I do not figure this out myself and with others' help, I will do that when I take in about 10 days from now for my Progress RSB install. BTW, LOL, new shifter boot was not even suggested by my wife, and choosing the sale-priced Napa upgrade was a $13.90 "extra" -- well worth it to me.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somethings are so obvious, i.e., the old hidden screw. Why didn't I think of it, and, am I glad I did not try the brute force method. A great big thanks to @USCTrojan4MC for the following pic:

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
lol yeah they sure do love hiding screws

·
Audio-SQ-Maniac
119 Posts
Because Photobucket sucks some serious balls, can someone please reupload that picture ?
Would be greatly apreciated. Thanks :)

·
Registered
151 Posts

Any ideas please?
No worries... you don't come across as snooty. I'm probably too late, but I found this video on replacing the shift boot for a 2010 Mazda3. This channel does Mazda mods and recently added a CX-5 to their stable.

https://youtu.be/CCck4jPszwg

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here’s a repost of the hidden screw and its location.

And as my Mazda Tech advised me, the clip Mazda uses in many location is super strong, and at least the first removal needs a fair amount of force to remove them. As one example, Mazda uses eight of these “gorilla clips” for securing the frame which hold the shift boot cover on. I initially chickened out because I was afraid to break that part (I was replacing the OEM vinyl shift boot cover with a custom leather one).

But once he told me just to forcefully yank upwards on it, it came out. And for those who have not seen my new shift boot cover... If anyone wants one made for their, just check out post #1 , sub-section #38 of my build linked in my signature below.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
@DanB0yDro

I attached the full files that the image was of. These are instructions for the mazda lighting kit so you can ignore most of it. Start on page 14 and then skip back to page 10. That was the simplest way IMO. If you have any questions let me know!
Thank you; that was very helpful!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts