2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I've been lurking in this forum to see if anyone have the same problem but wasn't able to so I figure I could post it.

I recently purchased an 2017 Mazda 3 2.5 Automatic Transmission brand new and so far I've driven about 1.5k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that the auto gears have been shifting pretty rough, especially in 4th to 5th gear. The RPM tend to hover around 2k RPM before shifting going straight down to 1k RPM, especially 5th gear where it goes up to 2.5k RPM down to roughly 900-1000 RPM causing the entire car to jerk pretty rough. Is that normal? I've notice people say that the auto trans is smooth as butter. Is this what they call smooth? Is there a break-in period for the auto transmission to learn your driving style?

I took it to the dealership twice and they said it was normal and checked the transmission CPU and it appears everything is shifting normal at the regular RPM, they advised they didn't feel the hard shift. But my wife disagree because she felt it and she doesn't think it is normal as well.

The shifting is annoying because it pulls my entire body forward and backward like if the car is jerky under acceleration.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
2017 MZ3 2.0 here, I've noticed strange shifting as well. I had one incident where I went to pass a semi on the highway and as soon as I gunned it, the car slammed into 3rd extremely rough, almost sounding like I bottomed out on pavement but it was a completely flat road. My gears like to linger for no reason as well, I find myself switching to manual mode just to coerce the car into the next gear. I'm at 13k miles so if it continues to do so, I'm gonna send it in for a warranty repair at 30k. Hopefully we get a little insight as to what this is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2017 MZ3 2.0 here, I've noticed strange shifting as well. I had one incident where I went to pass a semi on the highway and as soon as I gunned it, the car slammed into 3rd extremely rough, almost sounding like I bottomed out on pavement but it was a completely flat road. My gears like to linger for no reason as well, I find myself switching to manual mode just to coerce the car into the next gear. I'm at 13k miles so if it continues to do so, I'm gonna send it in for a warranty repair at 30k. Hopefully we get a little insight as to what this is.
Yeah, I'm hoping my next visit to the dealership on Monday will give me more insight, because at this point, they will need to open up the transmission and review what is causing this issue.

Did you notice any of the jerky acceleration from the transmission early on when you were driving your Mazda 3? If yes, did it eventually go away as it got more mileage to the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd say no. This is not normal based on my 2017 I just bought about 2-3 weeks ago. It's been butter smooth shifting. All types of shifting. From Sunday drive, boring shifts, to aggressive upshifts and downshifts like going to 3rd hitting 5.5k.

I'd say demo another Mazda at dealership and compare. Have a tech joy ride with you in your car and the demo.

I've got about 1.5k miles on it. I had 3 days to do non-highway break-in (i.e. 600 miles of city driving) when I bought it before doing my long round-trip highway, work commutes, but that's another story.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Got back from the dealership - apparently 2.5L 17 Mazda 3 have a different version transmission from 16 Mazda 3. The transmission shift (not on sport mode) tries to maximized fuel efficiency, therefore, causes the gear shifting to go from 4th to 6th (along w/ RPM) depending on the behavior of the driver. The torque converter is also different (bigger) from 2.0 due to 2.5L engine, which makes the car drive differently. The tech also advised that it takes 15,000 miles for the transmission to learn and adapt to the driver, so for the people who have 15k and more doesn't experience the weird shifting.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I am aware that many automatic transmission have "adaptive learning," but 15,000 miles does not sound reasonable, nor acceptable to me. I would personally get your dealership to give you another 17 GT auto to drive -- so you can see if that one does the weird shifting yours is doing.

And if your dealer will not, would go to another dealer and test drive one.

I would not personally put up with 15,000 miles of weird shifting on a new car -- whatever the Tech said.

Hope that other M3R members with '17 2.5 automatics chime in here with their experiences.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had my 2017 2.5 touring for about 2 weeks (800 miles).. it likes to hang revs in sport mode or when pushed, which just feels weird, but other than that it hasn't been giving me problems. if anything I miss the slightly rougher downshifts of my last car. The mz3 is almost too smooth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am aware that many automatic transmission have "adaptive learning," but 15,000 miles does not sound reasonable, nor acceptable to me. I would personally get your dealership to give you another 17 GT auto to drive -- so you can see if that one does the weird shifting yours is doing.

And if your dealer will not, would go to another dealer and test drive one.

I would not personally put up with 15,000 miles of weird shifting on a new car -- whatever the Tech said.

Hope that other M3R members with '17 2.5 automatics chime in here with their experiences.
Yeah, I tried to see if they had one available, but all they had was 2.0 and not an 2.5. They advised that they normally don't have 2.5 as a loaner vehicle.

I've putted about 400 miles since I started this post because I wanted to take long drive to see how the car reacts. I've noticed that it downshift pretty significant between 4th to 5th gear and stop and go traffic, going from 1st to 3rd gear is annoying as the rev jumps and downshift.

I'm so used to CVT (wife's Honda CRV) that driving an automatic's react differently to me.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
NA to me, meaning not acceptable to have such jerkiness, but that may just be because I drive manual trans cars.

Oh M3R 2.5 automatic owners, this thread needs your input....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NA to me, meaning not acceptable to have such jerkiness, but that may just be because I drive manual trans cars.

Oh M3R 2.5 automatic owners, this thread needs your input....
So, you're right about this issue. Took my car to another dealership, test drove one of their newer car, 3 2.5 Touring though, 5x time smoother and quicker shifting. Went to the service, they called Mazda, tried to authorized warranty repair - no codes, no error, RPM set to normal rate - they wouldn't authorized repair to the transmission, advised if I received an error to contact them immediately. Put the BlueDriver onto my car - no error - RPM is stupidly weird and inconsistent. I guess this will be my last Mazda I'll ever own.

According to the service adviser - people have complain about the shifting in 17 3 2.5 - but none of them which was found to be any error in transmission. I really hope Mazda does something or correct the RPM rate.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My car is fine. Odd weird shift here or there under specific conditions (I make the car think I'm accelerating quickly, but get off the gas right as it's about to up shift).

Are you convinced there's something wrong and not that you're just used to CVT so not used to there being actual gear ratios?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
@Fjaysay, just because your initial dealership determination was not what you wanted (nor deserved), do not give up. Instead I encourage you to appeal exactly the appeal procedures contained in section 8.1 of your Owners Manual (and 8.2, and 8.3 if/as necessary).

It is critical that you read word-by-word the exact language in each step, and follow them precisely. Urge you to be polite at every step, and to thoroughly document each step (whom you talked with, both their name and their title, the date and time you talked with that person, and exactly what you and they said in the conversation).

If you skip one little step, you will have to start again, so please go slowly and exactly through what is prescribed in the procedures, i.e., for example, after you have talked with the Service Manager (or whomever you have talked with), and before jumping to section # 2 processes, imperative you talk with the Service Manager OR the Owner.

Best of luck, and none of us should ever take an initial dealer denial determination as the final action.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car is fine. Odd weird shift here or there under specific conditions (I make the car think I'm accelerating quickly, but get off the gas right as it's about to up shift).

Are you convinced there's something wrong and not that you're just used to CVT so not used to there being actual gear ratios?
I know there is an issue with the transmission, even using the paddle shifter/manual mode, changing the gear from 4th to 5th gear is extremely rough (dealership tried this and still advised that it is normal from initial visit). I even test drove a new car (possible a loaner or demo or something), that car shift was what was expected from an automatic, no weird and rough shifting, it was smooth like butter (from people have said).

@RoadTrip - I will do that, and keep you guys updated. I will be doing scientific experiment with the car this weekend, videos, recorded phone calls to dealership (obviously letting them know ahead of time), testing driving another Mazda 3 with the same transmission and also have the service tech come with me for a test drive. I have all paperwork from each of my visit from all dealership and possibly will try to get in touch w/ a Lemon Law lawyer.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Please, do not mention Lemon Law nor that you are even considering an attorney until after you have completed the entire process 8.1-8.3 appeals process, for all dealers, once they hear either of those two things, have been instructed to cease all communications.

Those are two things you always keep in your back pocket until you have exhausted the appeal's process.

And as we all know, lawyers are not cheap, so why not wait to even contact one until your have tried all earlier alternatives.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please, do not mention Lemon Law nor that you are even considering an attorney until after you have completed the entire process 8.1-8.3 appeals process, for all dealers, once they hear either of those two things, have been instructed to cease all communications.

Those are two things you always keep in your back pocket until you have exhausted the appeal's process.

And as we all know, lawyers are not cheap, so why not wait to even contact one until your have tried all earlier alternatives.
Yeah, I'll try the process of 8.1-8.3 before consulting an Lemon Law attorneys. But thank you for your help, I really appreciate it! :grin2:

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
I have a 2017 2.5 GT (2.2K miles - about the same as the OP) and the transmission does not behave that way at all. It is very smooth and predictable. I think there is some kind of issue with the OP's car. I'd go to another dealer to get it looked at...

Edit: Re-reading the OP's description, it sounds like the transmission is shifting too early.

D7

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2017 2.5 GT (2.2K miles - about the same as the OP) and the transmission does not behave that way at all. It is very smooth and predictable. I think there is some kind of issue with the OP's car. I'd go to another dealer to get it looked at...

Edit: Re-reading the OP's description, it sounds like the transmission is shifting too early.

D7
In regards of my transmission shifting too early, what is consider a normal RPM before the gear shift? I'm assuming between 2k to 3k, right?

·
Grand Exalted Poobah
15 Posts
In regards of my transmission shifting too early, what is consider a normal RPM before the gear shift? I'm assuming between 2k to 3k, right?
I was taught to shift at high enough RPMs to avoid extreme lugging (that sort of lurching you get when you try to push a tall gear at very low RPMs, which seems like what you were describing in your original post). I haven't tested my M3 to see exactly where that's at, but on cars I've driven you're typically out of that territory by about 2K RPMs.

D7

1 - 20 of 33 Posts