2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figure its time I spend some time looking into my options for rims. I have a 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch. The OEM 18's won't be sticking around forever and I need to look for cheap options, probably used. What Id like to do ideally, is oem Acura RSX 16's for winter and maybe RSX 17's or TSX 17's for summer. New is just not in the budget so something somewhat lightweight and oem on another vehicle with our bolt pattern would be ideal, no spacers I hate them so I also have to ensure the offset is close to what is required. One summer set is going to be my dedicated autocross tires, and the other my daily driver set. All 3 sets of rims will receive brand new tires, studded 16's for winter, 225/50/R17's for summer, possibly 235 wide for autocross, if they fit without clearance issues. So maybe 17x7 for daily and 17x8 for autocross, then 16x6.5 for winter with 205/60/R16 tires. Not lowered and will remain at oem height for my entire ownership to accommodate winter driving conditions here. Custom alignment will be happening sometime this summer with front and rear swaybars too. Don't know very much about rims and offsets etc so any information you can toss me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,532 Posts
Well I figure its time I spend some time looking into my options for rims. I have a 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatch. The OEM 18's won't be sticking around forever and I need to look for cheap options, probably used. What Id like to do ideally, is oem Acura RSX 16's for winter and maybe RSX 17's or TSX 17's for summer. New is just not in the budget so something somewhat lightweight and oem on another vehicle with our bolt pattern would be ideal, no spacers I hate them so I also have to ensure the offset is close to what is required. One summer set is going to be my dedicated autocross tires, and the other my daily driver set. All 3 sets of rims will receive brand new tires, studded 16's for winter, 225/50/R17's for summer, possibly 235 wide for autocross, if they fit without clearance issues. So maybe 17x7 for daily and 17x8 for autocross, then 16x6.5 for winter with 205/60/R16 tires. Not lowered and will remain at oem height for my entire ownership to accommodate winter driving conditions here. Custom alignment will be happening sometime this summer with front and rear swaybars too. Don't know very much about rims and offsets etc so any information you can toss me would be greatly appreciated.
Check your class restrictions (pick the class you want to build for) before you get dedicated autox tires. Street stock requires OEM width rims (7"), offset no more than ±7mm (OEM is +50mm). If so, then tire size will be 195 or 205 if you want to be competitive.
Getting better alignment numbers will help considerably, but again, changing from stock specs will probably put you in Street Touring because you'll need camber bolts or camber plates in the front and a rear camber kit to get any useful change. If you move to ST, then you can use 7.5" rims with 205s. 225s will be slow on 7.5" rims, 8" rims and 235s will kill you and put you in a class you don't want to be in. There is a point of diminishing returns where rolling resistance slows you down and you lose whatever you gain in grip from width.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts