2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in a bind.

I'm debating between 16" Wheels and 17" Wheels, and I'm not sure which to get. I'm going for a bit of a rally style hatchback look by coupling the new wheels with a BaysonR front lip and RokBlokz rally flaps. From what I've seen, 18" just looks like it may be a little big for what I'm aiming for.

So I wanted to see what others may have done. Wouldn't mind a few pics of some aftermarket 16"/17" wheel pics either :grin2:

WWYD?

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in a bind.

I'm debating between 16" Wheels and 17" Wheels, and I'm not sure which to get. I'm going for a bit of a rally style hatchback look by coupling the new wheels with a BaysonR front lip and RokBlokz rally flaps. From what I've seen, 18" just looks like it may be a little big for what I'm aiming for.

So I wanted to see what others may have done. Wouldn't mind a few pics of some aftermarket 16"/17" wheel pics either :grin2:

WWYD?
Inexpensive 18" rims are heavy, as are the OEM 18" rims. Lightweight 18" rims are quite expensive.
17" rims are a very good compromise. You can find many lightweight (~16-17 lbs) 17" rims that won't break the bank. Matched with the right size 50 or 45 series tire the combination can make for a very good lightweight setup.

17x7.5 +45 Traklites with 205/50 Continental Extreme Contact Sports

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Depends on what look you like. Personally I thing 16s" look too small unless you run a tire with a large side wall like 70 series and that looks out of place on a 3. 17s" look good with the right tire. I think arathol has a lowering kit on his car.
Personally I like the look of the OEM 18s" which I have on my car and am thinking of going with a 19" wheel as I do not want to lower my car but want to fill in the gap between the tire and fender.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Depends on what look you like. Personally I thing 16s" look too small unless you run a tire with a large side wall like 70 series and that looks out of place on a 3. 17s" look good with the right tire. I think arathol has a lowering kit on his car.
Personally I like the look of the OEM 18s" which I have on my car and am thinking of going with a 19" wheel as I do not want to lower my car but want to fill in the gap between the tire and fender.
Yes, lowered with H&Rs, -30mm front, -45mm rear.

Unsprung weight is never good, especially on a small, fairly light car with modest power. Adding more is not recommended. OEM 19" rims, at more than 52 lbs of unsprung weight per corner with tire, are seriously hampering the suspension. If all you want is appearance when cruising the mall at night that is fine. If you want to extract the most you can from the car - canyon blasting, autox etc-, smaller or much lighter rims are in order. Those Traklites are ~15 lbs each, tires are 21.
If the intent is to look like a rally car, this years WRC cars are wearing 235/40R18 Pirellis. Don't forget the O.Z. Racing rims to go with them.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inexpensive 18" rims are heavy, as are the OEM 18" rims. Lightweight 18" rims are quite expensive.
17" rims are a very good compromise. You can find many lightweight (~16-17 lbs) 17" rims that won't break the bank. Matched with the right size 50 or 45 series tire the combination can make for a very good lightweight setup.

17x7.5 +45 Traklites with 205/50 Continental Extreme Contact Sports
That looks so good! I think I'm gonna go 17" after all :smile2:

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I went with light weight Miata 17's. so far I am pleased with them.
If you don't care about weight and want a 16 or 17" wheel I for some reason really like the Sparco Terra.
Its a rally type wheel. I hope I can find a cheep used set for winter use.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Have you carefully worked out the difference in tyre circumference between the standard wheel / tyre supplied with your car and your preferred wheel / tyre? I've been told in the UK that any difference will affect speedometer calibration, overall gearing etc. and this can't be recalibrated by making changes to the engine management software.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Have you carefully worked out the difference in tyre circumference between the standard wheel / tyre supplied with your car and your preferred wheel / tyre? I've been told in the UK that any difference will affect speedometer calibration, overall gearing etc. and this can't be recalibrated by making changes to the engine management software.
This is really a non issue. The difference is minimal.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The difference was 4% for the change from 18" to 16" wheels I considered. Some may consider this significant, some not.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mazda 3 GT comes with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the stock 16" alloy wheels look too small, and the 18" seem a little too tall, but it depends on the rim. I've seen pics of 19" that look good on the 3, and some 16" that look good. I settled on 17" and I think they look perfect.

When it comes to upsizing you need to compensate with the correct tire size to minimize any speedometer offset so the overall diameter remains the same (or as close as possible). Stick with 205/60R16, 215/50R17 and 215/45R18 and there should be no significant difference. Of course, if the rims are wider than stock, you might be able (or need) to change the tire width.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in a bind.

WWYD?

I had the same mindset as you which is why I decided to do 17x7.5 wheels with P225/50r17 tires. The tires look beefy but are within 0.8% difference in diameter. The tires give you plenty of grip but you don't sacrifice comfort like the 18s. I have the RokBlokz short rally flaps but I do not have the front lip.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
When it comes to upsizing you need to compensate with the correct tire size to minimize any speedometer offset so the overall diameter remains the same (or as close as possible). Stick with...215/60R17...and there should be no significant difference.
I think you may have meant a different aspect ratio for the 17-incher. The 215/60-17s are typically more than 27 inches in diameter, and our OEM diameters are in the high-25 inch range.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the same mindset as you which is why I decided to do 17x7.5 wheels with P225/50r17 tires. The tires look beefy but are within 0.8% difference in diameter. The tires give you plenty of grip but you don't sacrifice comfort like the 18s. I have the RokBlokz short rally flaps but I do not have the front lip.
Those 17's with RokBlokz are just beautiful, I love it. I'm definitely going to be going 17" ASAP, thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I checked my speedo with GPS and stock with the 205/60-16's it was reading low. If I was doing 118 on the speed/cruise real speed was 119.8... 120 is 122 reading low by 1.5% which I don't like... I want it reading slightly higher than real speed. Safer for tickets ;)

I went 225/45-17 which is a change of 2.9%... but was already high by 1.5% so in the end speed is reading higher than real speed by 1.4% perfect and more what you normally see...

Seems like they changed from previous 205/55-16's to the 60's and didn't change speed calibration. 205/55 to 225/45 almost identical

1 - 20 of 28 Posts