2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up some 15 mm spacers from H&R for my 3 and quickly discovered a problem.

The studs themselves are not flush enough to fit within them back of my MS3 Wheels.
[/IMG]

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to what I could do? sadly they aren't returnable AFAIK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure you have to cut your stock studs to fit those spacers. I could be wrong.
Yeah, I will have to cut the stock studs, however, the nut that they thread into still isn't flush enough still.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it just the nuts that stick out to far or the studs? Lots of times with spacers new studs are needed.
its the nuts for the studs that stick out too far, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
its the nuts for the studs that stick out too far, if that makes sense.
Are you using regular nuts? I think you use actual lug nuts. Again I'm not sure but when I was shopping for spacers I thought I was seeing many 15mm or bigger that come with lug nuts . I'm guessing far too much to be of any real help but some members here like @color0 and many others know plenty about these.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you need open ended lugs to fit over the extended studs
Yes. The open lugs are for the wheel hub to attach to the spacer, and then the stock lugs go onto the studs on the spacer. the open lugs touch the back of the wheel before the spacer, creating a gap. Im not sure if i can grind the open lugs down or not, or if i should pop the studs out of both the spacer, and the hub and just buy extended studs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Uh... the spacers themselves should have come with open, low-profile lug nuts. Typically, these kinds of spacers rely on the wheel having a pocket above the lugs to clear the stock studs but it doesn't look like you've got enough pocket anyways, so I don't know what to say here really.

If you have the option of swapping these out for a 15mm "slip-on" spacer with extended studs, that may be the only other way to do it. Installing extended studs yourself is a bit labor-intensive but actually isn't crazy hard with the right tools.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uh... the spacers themselves should have come with open, low-profile lug nuts. Typically, these kinds of spacers rely on the wheel having a pocket above the lugs to clear the stock studs but it doesn't look like you've got enough pocket anyways, so I don't know what to say here really.

If you have the option of swapping these out for a 15mm "slip-on" spacer with extended studs, that may be the only other way to do it. Installing extended studs yourself is a bit labor-intensive but actually isn't crazy hard with the right tools.
yeahhh. I was thinking the next logical thing would be to switch to extended studs and remove the existing ones from the spacer. If i use a hydraulic press it shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Theres a disclaimer usually saying your wheels need that extra space between the lug holes to compensate for the lugs sticking out...

I am running 15mm Wheel spacers...

Here's what mine looks like...

·
Registered
22 Posts
These are what I have, the nuts that came with them fit perfectly, and I used the stock lugs to bolt the wheel to the spacer.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7IP2E4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts