2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question gets asked a lot but find the biggest problem with my 15' 3 2.0 is the "off the line" power. It just doesn't seem to be there. Going up hills and even just daily driving around my city it seems to struggle enough to be annoying at times. Though as soon as I'm able to get into the higher RPMS even anything about 2500rpm. It just seems to go and I can feel the TQ significantly better.

How can I improve my take off. Just to get around the city? Is the OV tune the best route to go? Maybe a CAI + OVtune will get the most I can out of my car and keep reliability? And will any of that affect my warranty?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd say no to the CAI and yes to the OVtune. I have the 2.5L in my 6 and struggled with the same problem of finding power to get off the line without bogging. I wasn't getting much out of the OVtune and then I went back to the OE airbox (from the K&N SRI) and the car came alive off the line. I have experimented with several configurations and the best that I've found is the OVtune for 93 octane and OE airbox. When starting on level ground, I just ease the clutch out and the car scoots away without even applying throttle.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You might want to have your car checked out by the dealer.

I have a 2015 2.0 automatic and find the acceleration to be quite lively. In fact, I'm impressed with it.

Car & Driver magazine timed the 2.0 at 2.7 seconds for the 0 - 30 mph run, 7.6 seconds for the 0 - 60mph run, and recorded a top speed of 133mph, redline limited. Pretty good for a four-cylinder car that weighs almost 3000 pounds and is rated (and achieves for me) 41 mpg on the highway.

It's also possible you just need to get the car into the upper RPMs to achieve the performance you want. The 2.0 is not a big engine, and it may take the upper power band to satisfy your requirements.

·
Horses!
80 Posts
what I found about my 3 (2.0 manual, 120HP) is the traction control is very aggressive and limits the power on 1st and 2nd gear on low revs drastically, so it feels like an old granny's car with engine from a lawn mower.
but as soon as I turn it off, it feels like a totally different car, very lively, and spins wheels like crazy :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this question gets asked a lot but find the biggest problem with my 15' 3 2.0 is the "off the line" power. It just doesn't seem to be there. Going up hills and even just daily driving around my city it seems to struggle enough to be annoying at times. Though as soon as I'm able to get into the higher RPMS even anything about 2500rpm. It just seems to go and I can feel the TQ significantly better.

How can I improve my take off. Just to get around the city? Is the OV tune the best route to go? Maybe a CAI + OVtune will get the most I can out of my car and keep reliability? And will any of that affect my warranty?
Auto or Manual?

My Dec15 2.0, manual, has the most 'bitey' gearbox I've ever driven in my 15 years driving manual cars. Took me over a month to get used to the launch friction point otherwise the car would come off the line like a snail. Not too mention the second gear skips, hoo boy.

But once you get used to them you can see the car's potential.

·
Mazda Fan!
67 Posts
How many miles do you have?

My car has seemed to "wake up" as I put more miles on the odometer. There will always be an engine and break in debate, but from my experience it appears these engines do break in as the miles add up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How many miles do you have?

My car has seemed to "wake up" as I put more miles on the odometer. There will always be an engine and break in debate, but from my experience it appears these engines do break in as the miles add up.
Doesn't the ECU adjust for driving style over time?

·
Mazda Fan!
67 Posts
Doesn't the ECU adjust for driving style over time?
I'm sure it does. I'm talking about over thousands of miles, not just a couple of hundred. Car feels more "loose" and willing to rev than when it was new. Just my observations.:nerd:

·
Registered
52 Posts
what I found about my 3 (2.0 manual, 120HP) is the traction control is very aggressive and limits the power on 1st and 2nd gear on low revs drastically, so it feels like an old granny's car with engine from a lawn mower.
but as soon as I turn it off, it feels like a totally different car, very lively, and spins wheels like crazy :p
Well, this could may very well be the thing im looking for since I had a bit of dissapointment with 1st and 2nd gear ever since I had this car , I have better experience in my 20 year old peugeot.

Will try turning the thing off tomorow:smile2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts