1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8XqW4c40E

Vehicle: 2014 Mazda 3 I-Sport

Modifications: Resonator delete, stock muffler, short ram intake

Exhaust note: Deep and breathy in the higher RPMs, a bit of rasp in the low RPMs.

*Considering adding a perforated aftermarket muffler towards the rear of the midpipe near the muffler to smooth out tone.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Goodness gracious, that junk sounded loud as hell!

Way to take one for the team and rev your cold engine for the sake of the video. :nono:
Its pretty loud surprisingly and yeah the cold start revs is not a typical occurrence. I wanted to capture the exhaust note idle from a cold start, once the car is at operating temperature and starts up the tone is much different. But yeah no more cold revs promise. :)

I am thinking of running a couple perforated core resonators along the midpipe and unbolting the muffler and running a mini race bullet in its place. Should have a really nice warble exhaust note.

Authoritative yet civilized....because of the use of the resonators it will have a deep resonating growl.

So far I have had the following set ups:

1. Muffler delete/resonator in place (straight pipe axleback with turn down)

2. Muffler delete/resonator delete (straight pipe axleback with turn down)

3. Resonator delete/muffler in place

Future set up:

1 magnaflow resonator along the midpipe, Blox mini muffler in place of the stock muffler (gonna have it flanged bolted)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Cool, actually it sounded pretty much what I thought it would sound without the resonator haha But yeah you definitely want a smaller resonator to give it a smoother tone.

The second pic, that tiny one, is that a resonator?

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, actually it sounded pretty much what I thought it would sound without the resonator haha But yeah you definitely want a smaller resonator to give it a smoother tone.

The second pic, that tiny one, is that a resonator?
Yeah its that rasp....haha damn it some cars can get away with it and others cant. I love the stock exhaust note of a G35...and with the resonator removed it still sounds good, just more pronounced along with the signature "warble" note.

Thats a mini muffler....think of a baby N1.

Blox N1

Blox mini muffler (baby N1)

The mini muffler is quite popular for race applications where sound levels arent a concern or for those who are working with limited space or simply just want louder than a typical N1 but not as loud as a straight pipe axleback.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah there's no way you're going to get a 4banger to sound like a g35. Honestly, they sound nice but so played out now, those cars are everywhere haha Let us know how it goes with the mini muffler :)

How long is that magnaflow resonator? I think the stock resonator is 10" long and pretty fat so if the magnaflow one is longer then I think it'll still be pretty quiet or pretty much same as stock.

As you probably already know, I replaced my stock resonator with a small 9" vibrant resonator and for the first time yesterday I heard how my car sounded from the outside as the valet guy drove off in my car lol More audible than stock with a deeper more sportier sound. Nowhere near a g35 sound but sounded clean. Definitely want clean sound for this car :D

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah there's no way you're going to get a 4banger to sound like a g35. Honestly, they sound nice but so played out now, those cars are everywhere haha Let us know how it goes with the mini muffler :)

How long is that magnaflow resonator? I think the stock resonator is 10" long and pretty fat so if the magnaflow one is longer then I think it'll still be pretty quiet or pretty much same as stock.

As you probably already know, I replaced my stock resonator with a small 9" vibrant resonator and for the first time yesterday I heard how my car sounded from the outside as the valet guy drove off in my car lol More audible than stock with a deeper more sportier sound. Nowhere near a g35 sound but sounded clean. Definitely want clean sound for this car :D
Haha yeah true but I seen some Hondas running unequal length headers and they sound very much like Subarus....all that rumble. The VQ motor in the G35 coupled with the sport tuned exhaust system has that very faint exotic sound due to warble/mid to high pitch resonance. Pretty decent sounding V6. They are everywhere true that, popular chassis.

The stock resonator is a fatty....but nice that is perforated vs louvered. The magnaflow is longer but also slimmer so it should be louder but bear in mind I will not be running the stock muffler. If I was running magnaflow + stock muffler the sound levels wont be all that much different....just a much improved tone/less rasp. My plan is Magnaflow resonator + Blox mini muffler....I should get a very aggresive mellowy N1 exhaust note but sound levels will be civilized due to running the resonator vs. none at all. Resonators not only help with frequency cancellation/eliminate/reduce rasp but also help quiet the exhaust as well.

Yours sounds great, good job on replacing the resonator with a smaller one.

I also thought of running the stock resonator as a muffler in the rear like I would the Blox mini....would be interesting. There are so many set ups I wanna try but this is costing me $. I can't afford to be an exhaust whore at this time. :p

My friend with an LS400 has tried multiple catbacks and custom set ups before finding the sound/tone he liked. Its fun to experiment.

·
Registered
130 Posts
do you still have the video?
youtube wont link to it anymore. what is your current setup now?

Reactions: mullyinma

·
Registered
130 Posts
Lol. Oh ok. That was quick. Thanks though

·
Registered
60 Posts
Racing Beat w/res delete

I hesitated for a second at the thought of hacking away a part of a new car, but the Racing Beat exhaust was just too quiet for my taste. I had the resonator deleted, replaced with a straight pipe, and the Racing Beat axle-back in place. It sounds way better. The tone is deeper and more prominent.

I think with the RB exhaust installed is what the 3 should sound stock. And the RB exhuast with the resonator removed is how the RB exhaust should sound. :yes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I hesitated for a second at the thought of hacking away a part of a new car, but the Racing Beat exhaust was just too quiet for my taste. I had the resonator deleted, replaced with a straight pipe, and the Racing Beat axle-back in place. It sounds way better. The tone is deeper and more prominent.

I think with the RB exhaust installed is what the 3 should sound stock. And the RB exhuast with the resonator removed is how the RB exhaust should sound. :yes:

Racing Beat exhuast w/res delete
Sounds great! Thinking about doing this too. How is it on the freeway? Any drone?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think I've even taken it on the freeway yet, but at 60, no drone. Dooooo itttttt. If you think the RB sound could use some oomph, you won't regret it.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Racing Beat exhuast w/res delete
That sounds great, the Racing Beat with the OEM resonator is a bit tame I agree, as mentioned if the car came that way then that sound level would be perfect. Just like having a nice OEM sport tuned exhaust note.

With the resonator delete you had done, it wakes up the car and gives the exhaust note a better bark. Still deep and throaty, but under WOT its a big difference.

I'm currently running a resonator though on my car (no longer a 3 but hey still a Mazda)

Magnaflow resonator replaced the OEM resonator

Goodwin race single muffler, weighs only 7 lbs and its fairly loud.

*I was running a resonator delete previously but decided to throw a Magnaflow on to fight the drone at 3-4K rpms.

And video for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flIrehYm7Ms

*When it had no resonator, it was an ear drum blaster.

But I had to maintain the inner peace while disturbing the peace and thus the resonator had to go on.

Update*

I ended up taking off the Magnaflow because I missed the blap factor. Also I realized that the Magnaflow wasn't helping all that much and my exhaust just sounded more "muffled". Now with it off, the car has a much more pronounced exhaust note like before with all the pops/burble.

I think that Magnaflow piece installed further upstream of the midpipe might have been better but there is little space towards the front.

Its official, I have become an exhaust whore. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts