2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, I came back later to pick up my car and took some video inside, looks like a plain jane crappy, back seat is small...
What? All the reviews are praising the improved leg room in the back with the longer body and redesign. And the interior shots I've seen are impressive. I can't wait to see one at my dealer.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
So may 2014 threads. I'll leave these her. My dealer got a red i touring. I also got a shot of the rear of it next to a 13 skyactiv. It looks better in person to me. Still I don't like the front grill or the rear nearly as much as the Gen 2's. Honestly the only improvement I see is the headlights.

·
Registered
732 Posts
IMO they completely ruined the rear of the hatch. It really needs a larger spoiler and/or the small window behind the rear doors.

Reactions: swerv0428

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I still think the new front is many times better looking than the smiley face :D I can't get over the rear end tho lol

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
What's up with the radio? Looks like an aftermarket sat radio set on the dash with double stick tape. I like the front end but from the side I don't think it flows well with the rest of the car. It's too long. It makes the car look like a jogging shoe. I like the rear of the car, but I don't love it. Why is the e-brake in the left side? Should have left it on the right. Let it interfear with the passenger, not the driver. The a/c controls still have the same same el cheapo look as the last gen. The only thing I really like about the new car is the style of the leather seats.

Honestly I don't think my next car will have a Mazda badge on it. The new Mazdaspeed 3 if there even is one will have to be something extra special to get me into it. A 200 hp n/a MS3 will be a disgrace if that's the way it goes. If it's not pushing 300 hp I'm not interested.

Reactions: tastic

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the new front is better and meaner looking than than the previous gen 3's. the back though, (thanks @swerv0428 for the comparison picture) looks ridiculous. to go from the nice 'mean' front to the chevy cruze hatch looking rear end....sucks!

I know they will sell well just cause they got away from the front smiley face. but, why that rear end look!

maybe in person like swerv said, it will look better.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
the new front is better and meaner looking than than the previous gen 3's. the back though, (thanks @swerv0428 for the comparison picture) looks ridiculous. to go from the nice 'mean' front to the chevy cruze hatch looking rear end....sucks!

I know they will sell well just cause they got away from the front smiley face. but, why that rear end look!

maybe in person like swerv said, it will look better.
To me the front grill is still a gaping hole. Not a smiley face but a big open mouth. The new 6 has the same style grill but it's stretched wider and looks better. I just dont think it fits the 3.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
To me the front grill is still a gaping hole. Not a smiley face but a big open mouth. The new 6 has the same style grill but it's stretched wider and looks better. I just dont think it fits the 3.

I see what you mean. it is big, but, I still like it more than the smiley. if it were 3/4 the size, it would fit better with the smaller mz3.

I also would of liked the fog lights to be on the bottom of the black part. that would of looked better. I don't like when fog lights are close to the headlights. it just ends up looking like 1 big headlight from a distance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I see what you mean. it is big, but, I still like it more than the smiley. if it were 3/4 the size, it would fit better with the smaller mz3.

I also would of liked the fog lights to be on the bottom of the black part. that would of looked better. I don't like when fog lights are close to the headlights. it just ends up looking like 1 big headlight from a distance.
Yes, I agree in both of these statements above, I really like the styling of the Mazda6 better and I've been eyeing for a MZ6 touring 6MT CWP with black interior so long, and sadly not many manuals are available. On the downside, the roofline is low, which my 6'8" frame still hits the roof even the driver seats are all the way back and the lowest setting with the steering well all the way to top and to the back too. Arrgh, so frustrating!~ :mad 1:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I got to sit in one, touch it, ride in it, etc. and the weirdest part was simply being around the rear of the hatch. That thing is strange. Probably very practical, but strange.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What's up with the radio? Looks like an aftermarket sat radio set on the dash with double stick tape. The a/c controls still have the same same el cheapo look as the last gen.
The NON-technology optioned radio is HIDEOUS, I agree with you 100%. It looks like some cheapo aftermarket thingy that was taped onto the top of the dash. Mazda really butchered that detail. It has to be one of the ugliest radio I have ever seen on a new car.

The A/C controls in the NON-technology optioned car are also big time generic looking. The cheapest way to get a Mazda3 that doesn't have these hideous details is to get the i Touring with the technology package.

Although the updated tech package has the much better radio and AC controls, the display on the dash still looks weird to me. It almost appears to be an afterthought, instead of flowing with the dash, it appears to be against the flow of the dash.

This is what the controls look like in a tech package Mazda:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I believe the 2014 Mazda3 sedan is much better looking than the Mazda3 hatchback.

Although I believe the 2014 Mazda6 is a better looking car than BOTH the 2014 Mazda3 sedan and hatch. Especially the dash area. The Mazda6 has a much better flowing and looking dash than the Mazda3.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes, I agree in both of these statements above, I really like the styling of the Mazda6 better and I've been eyeing for a MZ6 touring 6MT CWP with black interior so long, and sadly not many manuals are available. On the downside, the roofline is low, which my 6'8" frame still hits the roof even the driver seats are all the way back and the lowest setting with the steering well all the way to top and to the back too. Arrgh, so frustrating!~ :mad 1:
the 2014 mazda6 is a beautiful car. so much more styling in it than a toyota camry or honda accord. much more fun to drive from a neighbor who recently got one. from inside and out, the mazda6 is pretty cool.

I feel for you with the height. kind of limits you to certain cars I guess.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I believe the 2014 Mazda3 sedan is much better looking than the Mazda3 hatchback.

Although I believe the 2014 Mazda6 is a better looking car than BOTH the 2014 Mazda3 sedan and hatch. Especially the dash area. The Mazda6 has a much better flowing and looking dash than the Mazda3.
the sedan is so much better looking. there is NO comparison. I have no idea what mazda was thinking when they designed the rear end of the hatch. maybe they thought it would be funny to read all the crap we say about it on the mazda forums. idk.

my only hope is that the mazdaspeed3, whenever it comes out, will not have the hatch look.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm sure the mazdaspeed version will have a bigger rear spoiler on the hatch, will definitely make the hatch more better proportioned with the bigger spoiler.

The way I see it now, here are my pros and cons for the hatch and sedan so far

Hatch
Pros: Practical, shiny dual exhaust tips and has the third brake light on the outside (on the spoiler)
Cons: Rear end looks like it's missing something

Sedan
Pros: Good looking and more grown up look and should have a nice size trunk
Cons: Hidden exhaust pipes so tips won't show, third brake light on the inside so if tinting it'll block the light output

I think the sedan's cons are less likely to affect my buying decision than the hatch's cons =/

·
Registered
343 Posts
Compare the 2014 Mazda6 interior layout:

Compare the 2014 Mazda3 interior layout:

The problem is the radio and navigation look totally out of place on the Mazda3. It doesn't integrate with the dash but seems to be alienated, an afterthought. One thing for sure is that the standard radio on the Mazda3 is THE WORST aesthetic looking thing out there. It looks like a radio unit from 1960.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts