2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its rather loud and reflects off buildings like drive thru. I do not hear this noise in the cabin, just with windows down pulled up against wall, or with hood open/ear to grill.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The high pressure fuel pump in your skyactiv gets pressurized by the cam follower tapping against a piston in the pump. It will make a tapping noise. The fuel injectors will also make a clicking noise as they open and close. Think of it as a symphony. :smiley:

Reactions: Randomheroes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this sound very noticeable from the outside? I don't think I've ever noticed it, even at drive thru or in parking garage.
Its loud enough that when i picked up my plates yesterday i requested a mechanic to listen. He had a confounded expression on his face, the engine should be identical to the '14 so I hope he actually worked on one. He also looked stoned, so not sure how good his opinion is. The engine also jostles around enough in the bay to be noticeable but I may just be over critical.

Im going to try to take it to another Mazda and request to listen to their demo car side by side. You can hear it very clearly with the window down against a wall, and standing near the front of the car. Its very loud with the hood open. I will try to upload a video.

Just hit 220 Miles. Other than that great car. Base Sport but has so many features from Connect. Missing auto-lights, they should be standard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The high pressure fuel pump in your skyactiv gets pressurized by the cam follower tapping against a piston in the pump. It will make a tapping noise. The fuel injectors will also make a clicking noise as they open and close. Think of it as a symphony. :smiley:
Have you heard it from outside the car? Went to another drive thru and it was instantly noticeable

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The fuel pump noise is noticeable from inside and outside the car. It's most noticeable at the point where you first apply the gas and the fuel pump starts to ramp up pressure. It's called "tip in". The injectors are really only noticeable if you stand directly in front of the car. I guess if your going through a drive thru or confined space you'll hear it too.

The four cyl engines vibrate a lot so Mazda leaves the motor mounts real loose to quell nvh. The engine in a mazdaspeed will actually smack the fire wall if you drop the clutch hard enough. Pretty much why everyone wants to put in aftermarket motor mounts. The Mazda3 isn't as bad as the MS3 but the engine still moves around a lot.

Reactions: Randomheroes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fuel pump noise is noticeable from inside and outside the car. It's most noticeable at the point where you first apply the gas and the fuel pump starts to ramp up pressure. It's called "tip in". The injectors are really only noticeable if you stand directly in front of the car. I guess if your going through a drive thru or confined space you'll hear it too.

The four cyl engines vibrate a lot so Mazda leaves the motor mounts real loose to quell nvh. The engine in a mazdaspeed will actually smack the fire wall if you drop the clutch hard enough. Pretty much why everyone wants to put in aftermarket motor mounts. The Mazda3 isn't as bad as the MS3 but the engine still moves around a lot.
I have only noticed at idle as I stand in front of grill or to the side of fenders. ill try gassing near a wall to be sure. I noticed the motor mount issue, had to replace a couple on our 2006. Thanks for followup, almost at 300 miles, love the car otherwise.

·
Jaffa Cake Addict
385 Posts
I'm glad out DI ticking is much quieter than that of a VW. I had a GTI for a few days as a loaner and it was tick city.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts