2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not ur average sexy girl.
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im about to hit the 10k miles on my 3, I've had it since April and I kinda freaked outttt about the crazy miles. Is this a normal amount of miles for the time? I love driving it lol.

Emily.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Hey guys. Im about to hit the 10k miles on my 3, I've had it since April and I kinda freaked outttt about the crazy miles. Is this a normal amount of miles for the time? I love driving it lol.

Emily.
I think the average American puts 15k miles on a car a year. Does that mean you drive too much? No because you have your reasons for it, whether it be commuting, a roadtrip or several, etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I know a guy who does 30k a year, its never too much. Your on pace for 15k a year which is average.

·
Registered
732 Posts
had my car since 06/09 and just hit 49K.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had my car for about a year and 3 months now I think. Just rolled over 26k. Highway miles are the "easiest" miles you can put on a car anyways so unless you've racked up those miles in stop-and-go city traffic or hardcore autocross/time-attack, I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I've had mine since 11/09 and just hit 47k
Don't worry car has a good resale value if that's what your worried about! As long as you take care of the car the miles would be one of the last things to worry about.

·
Registered
732 Posts
when I was in to get a oil change and test drive a Skyactiv I asked the dealer for a trade-in value on my car. They offered me 12k! When I said it seemed a bit low they asked me what I was looking to get for it ad I said at least 13,300. They said they might be able to get close to that if we started discussing numbers for a new car more seriously.

Seems like a real low-ball offer to me. When I questioned the salesperson about the offer he said he checked KBB and it said $12,900 but he claims they do not take into consideration all the extra miles. I'm calling BS on this one, if that's the case isn't KBB's whole auto appraisal system flawed then? Why would they (KBB) ask you for the mileage on your car when coming up with a value if they don't fully take it into consideration?

·
Registered
501 Posts

Emily.
My car was at 27k on Memorial Day weekend (the weekend I drove it from TX to CT), and now its at 38k. I didn't realize it before, but depending on where you are, those little "trips" start adding up. When I lived in Texas, I only put about 4k miles in 6 months. I started commuting 100 miles/day in February, and BAM, went from 20k-26k in 4 months. Like I said before, I was at 27k at the end of my trip, and now I'm a 38k. My folks live 75 miles one way, my girlfriend is 150 miles away one way, I have friends in Boston, etc. It adds up, and my car doesn't mind one bit

when I was in to get a oil change and test drive a Skyactiv I asked the dealer for a trade-in value on my car. They offered me 12k! When I said it seemed a bit low they asked me what I was looking to get for it ad I said at least 13,300. They said they might be able to get close to that if we started discussing numbers for a new car more seriously.

Seems like a real low-ball offer to me. When I questioned the salesperson about the offer he said he checked KBB and it said $12,900 but he claims they do not take into consideration all the extra miles. I'm calling BS on this one, if that's the case isn't KBB's whole auto appraisal system flawed then? Why would they (KBB) ask you for the mileage on your car when coming up with a value if they don't fully take it into consideration?
I looked at getting into a Speed3 a couple months ago, and $12k was the dealers offer on my car (I was at 31-32k, i Touring, 5 speed). All first offers are lowball. They have nothing to lose...if you like it, then they didn't have to pay as much for a trade. If you don't, then they'll negotiate. But like they said, it all depends if you're serious about a new car (i.e. they'll be getting more money out of the deal). In my experience, dealers don't use KBB, they use the black book w/ uses recent auction data. Depending on where you live, it could influence the value your dealer offers you because they consider the worst case scenario - they send your car to auction if it doesn't sell on the lot.

Still, that's not bad compared to the $9,000 offer I got from Carmax when I was looking at an '06 GTI last winter. Car had 19k miles on it, and a year and half old...

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
It depends on dealers I went to a few and asked what they'd offer and some offered me as low as 14k and one actually offered me 16k as long as I left a few mods which all it was was my rims, my HID lights, interior lights, and my tv inside. All which I spent maybe less than 700 so you gotta ask around. And I had a mileage of 42k at the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought mine in January of 2010 and about to hit 50K on it, never had a blip, I love this car. Resale fluctuates. I have looked at trading it in on a speed3 and have received offers of 12000-14000.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i got mine in april and im 2 miles from 11k :p and my daily commute is about 10 miles. just goes to show how much i love driving my 3 :p

·
I'm a chicken
30 Posts
my car was purchased in August 2009 with 7 miles. I now have 54k on mine. Its been to the coast a couple times, mexico three times, dallas twice and college station twice and brenham once as well as brownsville and south padre.. Ive been all over texas in mine

·
Registered
201 Posts
September 19th 2011 at 9:00pm ;)

So far 2100 on her, bought at 10ish miles, two road trips down to visit my brother that were 500 roundtrip each.

As much as I adore driving my 3, I'm trying to go easy on the odometer considering I want my baby to last me indefinitely and I feel she deserves her a break now and again. I'm shooting for 11k a year, and so far looking like 12, but those trips are going to be more seldom so 10 is even within reach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts