2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Not on the forums to often here but just wanted to give you guys some info on my last oil change. I have a 2.0 I Touring no tech pkg. I drive my car mostly highway, and drive it for mpg's (lots of coasting, rarely over 70-75 mph)

I did my first oil change at 5000 miles (I always like to do the first one sooner than recommended for peace of mind) I did not test this oil.

I then did my 2nd oil change at 15,000 miles, I sent a sample to blackstone labs in Fort Wayne IN. My results are pretty good. Looks like they recommend me trying 12,000 miles on the next one. (so Ill change the next one at 27,000 miles which will be pretty soon and Ill send the sample in again for analysis) I think this is pretty cool that's the only reason I'm doing it.

Keep in mind I rarely drive my car spritely, just easy commuting miles (that's why I bought the car)

The TBN on the oil was 4.2. It just needs to be above 1.0 to protect the engine components I believe. I think when the oil is new the TBN is around 8 or 10.

See attached

View attachment img-141110175122.pdf

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would do a 5K change to see how IRON, COPPER, and SILICON readings have come down and check on the Flashpoint too.

Your Moly is quite high. Mine (after 5K ) is about 510, but I push to redline often.

I change at 5K with Mazda oil and the maximum IRON, COPPER, SILICON readings I got were 6, 1, 11 respectively and Flashpoint is around 420 F. I do 80% highway, 20% city.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do a 5K change to see how IRON, COPPER, and SILICON readings have come down and check on the Flashpoint too.

Your Moly is quite high. Mine (after 5K ) is about 510, but I push to redline often.

I change at 5K with Mazda oil and the maximum IRON, COPPER, SILICON readings I got were 6, 1, 11 respectively and Flashpoint is around 420 F. I do 80% highway, 20% city.
sspak,

Thanks for the advice but on this current oil change im already at 10k, so I might as well push it to 12k like the guy recommended. You and I have very different driving styles (well at least in this car) as I rarely shift past 2k. The only time my engine sees over 2k is in 6th gear on the highway.

I do a pretty good mix of hwy/city/traffic driving, but the way i drive i think my clutch will last a life time. yeah i drive like a wuss. Ill post up my next oil analysis in a few months to this thread.

Thanks for the heads upon your readings Im gonna compare them with mine.

Martin-

·
Registered
412 Posts
My car tells me I'm still at 50% oil life after 11.700km. Looks like thanks to my 80% rural/freeway driving, I'm well on track to hit the 20k km benchmark interval for the oil change. Not bad for a motor with only 4,5 litres of oil capacity on non-synthetic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My car tells me I'm still at 50% oil life after 11.700km. Looks like thanks to my 80% rural/freeway driving, I'm well on track to hit the 20k km benchmark interval for the oil change. Not bad for a motor with only 4,5 litres of oil capacity on non-synthetic.
Where can you find non-synthetic 0W-20 oil?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow that's interesting....at that rate that would = about a 15,000 mile oil change interval. I wish I had the fancy infotainment screen but I have the lower model.

Haven't been driving my car much but plan on going 12-13k miles on this interval and sending the oil sample in to get tested again. I will post results right away. Please keep in mind I don't recommend everyone to stretch their oil intervals, given the way I drive, its most likely the reason that I can do this.

Martin-

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I resemble that remark. :angel 1:

Your car will thank you and so will your pocket book, in the long run.
I agree, every car I have owned died due to rust. Regular maintenance and driving it in a non spirited way gives cars much better reliability.

My 2002 ford explorer sport lasted me 12 years (bought it brand new) at265,000 miles, sold it to a friend as rust was starting to take over the car. Other wise no problems everything worked. 5000 mile oil changes with walmart brand oil for 12 years. no problems.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wow, you shift UNDER 2k ALL THE TIME?! I honestly feel bad for that engine. I feel my 2014 MZ3 is very happy with 4k shifts and I spin the block to redline CONSTANTLY. Here's my used oil analysis with 4k intervals.

I dumped the factory fill at 1k to flush out the break-in contaminants.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Seriously, my car takes 3-4 miles even with a foot to the floor run to 60mph for the blue light to turn off. I can't imagine waiting until it does. The heat on this car takes forever to warm up. Conversely, my subaru takes a block.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You floor it daily when the blue light is on?

?
Just about daily, usually in the afternoon if it's really cold the blue light will stay on for a while. In the morning I have an onramp I can use. But still it takes at least 5-10 minutes for the damn thing to warm up even while driving it doesn't matter what I do. Thank god for heated seats or I'd freeze in the winter mornings.

The car itself doesn't seem to drive any differently with the blue light on or not. Though, I notice it does benefit in the power department from heat soak.

As for if the car dies or not, I do 30k a year in driving, I bought one of those warranties for 125k along with a service contract that covers me till 100k. Plus the fact that it's Pzev which means emissions components are covered until 150k in California. So, I have no real reason to baby the car other than keeping it clean, maintained, and accident free. The only babying I do is giving it premium fuel for the reasons that I get more miles to the tank, and at startup it doesn't run rough.

My other cars get better treatment though.

·
Tiny Member
239 Posts
Nice, thanks! I have to change the 3's oil in about 1500 miles and will be sending it out to Blackstone. This is dealer Castrol 0W-20 and it'll have 9k on it. Assuming it comes back clean I'll be going to 10k intervals...I like to stick with that because it makes it easy to know when it needs to be changed. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use the flex with recommended Mazda 3 oil and oem filter and I drive 99% highway, about a thousand miles a week. i have about 16k and the monitor still shows 60% oil life.

I have always changed my oil at 5K in all my other cars and decided to give the oil monitor a try. I have to admit, I'm a little nervous with the long intervals.

I just ordered oil, filter, and washer I will probably change before the monitor goes to zero %

·
Registered
343 Posts
My sGT warms up amazingly fast. Once warm the heat is intense. It's one of my favorite behaviors of the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a cx-5 with almost 50k miles on it. Been doing 10k oil changes with Wal-Mart $24 Mobil1 extended and usually purolator filters. Plan on doing black labs at 50k ( about 1,500 to go).... Will post the results.

·
Registered
422 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts