2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've recently been having some shifter issues with my 2005 Mazda 3.
A few weeks ago I started having issues with my car not being able to turn over. I noticed that the dash was not displaying the vehicle in "PARK". I was given instructions to use a screw driver in the interlock hole to unlock the shifter handle, put car into neutral and then start. That worked for the moment.

While driving the car this weekend, I noticed the shifter was not moving smoothly. I reversed into a parking spot. While shifting into DRIVE to pull forward, the car got stuck in neutral and the shifter popped into the MANUAL section. The car is now stuck in neutral, lever stuck in the manual shift section, and the interlock switch thing is not working. I cant get the shifter handle to budge. Has this happened to anyone else?

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
classic sign the park-neutral safety switch has failed, it looks like this (part pulled up is for an 08 2.3l, but similar) http://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/neutral-safety-switch/duralast-neutral-safety-switch/mazda/mazda3/2008/4-cylinders-2-3l-mfi-dohc/787531_0_0_1277/?checkfit=true

i have a manual so i am not 100% sure on this car where it is at but it will be between the shift knob and linkage on transmission, first place to look would be right under shift lever mounted there is a common spot, next place would be the exterior of the transmission under the car where the linkage goes into the transmission. either way i would try this switch first they are not expensive, usually easy to change and your symptoms sound like a classic case of the switch failing. googling pics (somewhat unreliable) it appears to be on the transmission under car where linkage goes in

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem. Mazda 3 2010 automatic that will lock in manual but show up that it is in neutral and then you cannot get it out of the manual lock with the shifter. If it was neutral safety switch would that also cause the shifter sticking into manual ?

Did you solve this problem ?

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem. Mazda 3 2010 automatic that will lock in manual but show up that it is in neutral and then you cannot get it out of the manual lock with the shifter. If it was neutral safety switch would that also cause the shifter sticking into manual ?

Did you solve this problem ?
very possible or your linkage under the car from the shifter to the transmission has started to get slack and play in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts