2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm talking personal claims. Not a youtube video that someone copies and paste on here. I know that a manual will send more power to the wheels than an auto trans at the beginning of shifting gears (probably due to the torque converter causing loss of power transfer in autos) but once the car is speeding the auto seems to shift faster than a manal. One wonders if the computer is programmed diffrently that affects torque for both transmissions.

I'm also curious about a rolling race time say 10-60mph if anyone has them. Auto trans have a tip-in issue at take off from being stopped. When you floor an auto from a stop, the low rpms make the car have a slow take off then suddently bolts. Pressing the gas pedal half way then flooring it seems to give an auto trans a better take off from being stopped.

Let the debate....begin! ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
The only auto transmissions that are faster than a stick are still sticks in nature. An automated manual transmission (dual clutch) will be faster than a stick because it shifts faster while still putting down the same power. The loss of power on traditional automatics is too much to overcome the stick.

·
1,577 Posts
The only auto transmissions that are faster than a stick are still sticks in nature. An automated manual transmission (dual clutch) will be faster than a stick because it shifts faster while still putting down the same power. The loss of power on traditional automatics is too much to overcome the stick.
Nice to see some logical posts based on facts, versus the other garbage posts (misinformation) some people are spewing on all threads

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Manual will alsways be faster unless dual clutch or the auto tranny is putting down the same power. And even if a regular auto tranny puts down the same power I'd be willing to bet the person with a manual would win because of better launch with the manual.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I think it's nuts. You can sit there with your foot on the brake in an auto and launch pretty hard. I'm wasn't talking an advanced manual. I'm talking old school clutch and stick. Either way I could care less I love a manual for the fun of it. Don't give a crap if I'm slower or not. In my opinion. And we all have one. It's a wash. An auto loses more power through the tranny but a manual take a fraction of a second longer to shift.

·
I Rock
63 Posts
i dont know if there are any hp curves to compair the 2, but i know on the old proteges... the autos put down maybe 100-105 hp to the wheels and the manuals put down 110-115. 5-10 hp difference. i think m/t were about a second faster in the quarter mile, not sure about 0-60. i would say manual is faster, but it all comes down to who is driving. the newer autos out there are getting better. would probably be nearly even.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
i dont know if there are any hp curves to compair the 2, but i know on the old proteges... the autos put down maybe 100-105 hp to the wheels and the manuals put down 110-115. 5-10 hp difference. i think m/t were about a second faster in the quarter mile, not sure about 0-60. i would say manual is faster, but it all comes down to who is driving. the newer autos out there are getting better. would probably be nearly even.
That's probably my problem. Need a better driver. Lol. :Racing:

·
Registered
570 Posts
The only time traditional torque converter automatics are faster is in very high hp applications. Many drag racers use GM powerglide 2 speed, or TH350/TH400 3 speed auto transmissions when they really want the edge in drag racing. Autos provide better consistency (bracket racing) and faster shifting at the expense of higher drivetrain HP losses. But when you're putting down 500+ hp to the wheels, the faster shifting overcomes the losses. These are also built transmissions with higher stall-speed tq converters running higher line pressure for VERY firm shifts, not stock.

In low HP cars, the automatics really suck power compared to the manuals. Just look at any magazine test and you'll see the manuals are usually ~.5 second faster to 60 and ~1 second in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
317 Posts
But are we talking about the skyactiv auto or the old school one? Cause isn't the skyactiv one basically a direct drive (like a manual) with only a tc for take offs? That being the case other than the launch (provided by the tc) I'd think they would be pretty close. The single clutch makes it a tad slower then a dual clutch automanual I'd assume but the direct drive should reduce parasitic losses.

At least this is my assumption.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
An auto will outrun a manual to 60.
They have significantly less power at the wheels. Manual will win.

I can run 7.9 0-60. I've done it 3 times. 2.0 5 speed manual.

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I either forgot to hit reply or a post of mine got deleted. Too abrasive? :001_unsure:

I don't think the Skyactiv AT loses that much power once you're up to speed, since the clutch pack takes over and shifts via clutch pack/torque converter combo. It's actually really smart that way.

On the other hand, the gear ratios are notably longer on the 6AT, and you have to abuse the brake-torquing a good bit to pull off a quick 0-60. I've gotten below 8 seconds doing that, but I really don't think it's good for the tranny.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
MAZDA: SKYACTIV-DRIVE | TRANSMISSION | SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY

To stay on topic exclusively with SkyActiv AT, the lockup range of SkyActiv AT is much improved from traditional AT, to the point that the slippage occurs only at idle and at crawling speed (<5mph). With no doubt, the new 3 with SkyActiv AT reports acceleration to 60mph between 7.7 to 8.4 seconds, which is the same as what manual gets -- I've seen Motorweek reporting 8.9 seconds with AT, but Motorweek reports every car slower than what everyone else reports so who cares.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
The skyactiv is about equal

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I stand corrected. I didn't realize that they lost enough power to offset the added time of shifting.
2000 3i2011 points for being able to admit you were incorrect :) nobody else on the forum has 3i2011 points so yeah. Feel special

1 - 20 of 35 Posts