2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mazda3 Saloon in Soul Red Crystal.
56 Posts
In the UK the versions are SE-L, SEL-Lux, Sport Lux, GT Sport & GT Sport Tech. The engines available are 2.0 SkyActiv G 122 & 2.0 e-SkyActiv X 186 (replaced the 2.0 SkyActiv-X 178 for the 2021 MY).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't really comment on Canada but its usual that different markets have different naming conventions.
The UK cars use a mild hybrid system that isn't on US cars but we don't get the 2.5 or the turbo. Also the majority of UK cars are manual transmission which I believe are getting rare in the US.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't really comment on Canada but its usual that different markets have different naming conventions.
The UK cars use a mild hybrid system that isn't on US cars but we don't get the 2.5 or the turbo. Also the majority of UK cars are manual transmission which I believe are getting rare in the US.
Yeah, I don't think there is ANY manual for Mazda 3 at least 2019 and newer.

·
Registered
839 Posts
With today's auto transmissions, I don't think there's enough difference in fuel economy to worry about. An expert usually can squeeze out some extra miles by shifting at low rpms and feathering the throttle, but many people like to "wind it out" with a standard transmission for the sporty fun of it, which can lead to less fuel economy than an automatic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With today's auto transmissions, I don't think there's enough difference in fuel economy to worry about. An expert usually can squeeze out some extra miles by shifting at low rpms and feathering the throttle, but many people like to "wind it out" with a standard transmission for the sporty fun of it, which can lead to less fuel economy than an automatic.
I agree that modern auto box's have similar fuel economy to manuals, they're just not as much fun to drive.
This side of the pond an auto will add £1,500 ($2,090) to the purchase price. £1,500 more for what most over here would consider an inferior driving experience just isn't worth it.
The main difference over here is that because we have higher fuel prices (petrol is approximately $7.15 per US gallon V the US national average of $3.19) & generally stricter emission regulations we tend to get cars that prioritise economy rather than performance.
As an example my Skyactiv-X averages 50 + MPG (41.5 + US MPG)
Fuel is a lot cheaper in the US so economy isn't as important.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a pity because it's a better drive with a stick shift.
US fuel is a lot cheaper than UK fuel so economy sells cars over here, a shame because the 2.5 turbo with a manual box must be the Mazda 3 sweet spot.
Yeah well I would never buy a manual, too much traffice, too many stop signs and stop lights.
Yeah there's no feathering the throttle here in Florida, you'll get run off the road. I wouldn't even have a manual cause as soon as you let off the gas to shift all the cars behind you are gonna try to pass you cause you slowed. It's nothing but a rat race.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah well I would never buy a manual, too much traffice, too many stop signs and stop lights.
Yeah there's no feathering the throttle here in Florida, you'll get run off the road. I wouldn't even have a manual cause as soon as you let off the gas to shift all the cars behind you are gonna try to pass you cause you slowed. It's nothing but a rat race.
The Mazda 3 manual is 1/2 second faster 0 to 60 than the auto. (On the UK spec e-SkyActiv X). I'm aware that the US spec 2.5t isn't available with a manual box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Mazda 3 manual is 1/2 second faster 0 to 60 than the auto. (On the UK spec e-SkyActiv X). I'm aware that the US spec 2.5t isn't available with a manual box.

Unless you can show proof, your just talking out your butt. Either way, unless your speed shifting your going to get run off the road.

There are NO Mazda 3's in the US with a manual, regardless of engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Unless you can show proof, your just talking out your butt. Either way, unless your speed shifting your going to get run off the road.

It's actually 0 - 62 & the manual is 0.4 seconds quicker than the auto to 62 (approximately 1/2 second quicker to 60) The below screenshot is from page 21 of the UK prices & specs brochure available Here.
Maybe you should learn how to drive a manual before critising people that know how to drive them.

The below screenshot is from page 20 of the Mazda 3 USA brochure available here.
Maybe you should learn how to use google before calling someone a liar.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
The first chart you show lists an engine I'm unfamiliar with, it doesn't even exist in the USA. (Skyactive-X??)

The 2.0l in the US is 155hp (non turbo) and Skyactive-G. There are no Skyactive-X engines in the US.

The Skyactive-X 2.0l T is likely a new engine that will replace the naturally aspirated 2.5l and hasn't hit US markets yet.

The small difference in 0-60 (or 62) is clearly from the significant weight difference, not because it's magically quicker, and would take a world class driver to accomplish.

Certainly YOU wouldn't be able to shift faster or at a more precise rpm than the automatic and therefore you wouldn't be able to accomplish this, it would take a professional that knows the exact rpm to shift and the shift would have to be flawless every single time.

So unless it's a professional driver that can speed shift at the perfect rpm, there's going to be no difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I called you a liar? Show me proof kiddo!

You sure got bent out of shape cause I asked you to show proof of your claims.
You seem very immature, like a lot of people that troll these forums, someone reasonably asks for proof and BAM, suddenly they start crying like a little baby that you called them a liar. LIAR LIAR!

WAAAAH!

I learned to drive a stick in 1985.

The first chart you show lists an engine I'm unfamiliar with, it doesn't even exist in the USA. (Skyactive-X??)

The 2.0l in the US is 155hp (non turbo) and Skyactive-G. There are no Skyactive-X engines in the US.

The Skyactive-X 2.0l T is likely a new engine that will replace the naturally aspirated 2.5l and hasn't hit US markets yet.

The small difference in 0-60 (or 62) is clearly from the significant weight difference, not because it's magically quicker, and would take a world class driver to accomplish.

Certainly YOU wouldn't be able to shift faster or at a more precise rpm than the automatic and therefore you wouldn't be able to accomplish this, it would take a professional that knows the exact rpm to shift and the shift would have to be flawless every single time.

So unless it's a professional driver that can speed shift at the perfect rpm, there's going to be no difference.
There's asking for proof (which is reasonable) & there's saying someone is talking out of there arse (which is equivalent to calling someone a liar)
The SkyActiv X isn't a turbo engine it's naturally aspirated. It's also unlikely to appear on US cars in it's current 4 cylinder form but will probably get to the USA as a straight 6 sometime next year.
I'll leave this conversation now as getting into a circular argument benefits neither of us

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
First, thats about enough crap......no more.....

Second-
According to Motor Trend, the US spec 6AT FWD car will do 0-60 in 7.0 vs 7.4 for a 6MT car.

I don't know where you got this from. The 6MT is available but only in the top trim level of the hatchback.
I've driven both 6MT cars and 6AT cars, the MT cars are much better.
If you can't shift a manual transmission in a manner that allows you to keep up with traffic, perhaps you should not be driving a car that has one......

The SA-X has been around a while, its certainly not new, and in fact this forum has an SA-X specific subsection in the 2019+ subforum. There is already a 2.0L motor and a 2.5L motor here in the US. The SA-X motor is out performed by the 2.5L motor for about the same price, as a result the 2.0L SA-X isn't coming here any time soon if at all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've never even heard of a GT, there's standard, select, preferred, premium, turbo and turbo premium plus.

There's nothing "GT" listed on Mazda's website.
I live in the UK and I have got the GT sport, the one above that the top spec is called the GT sport tech, we also seem to get different engines I have a 2.0L e skyactiv x we don't get the 2.5L here or the turbo unfortunately my engine is 186ps.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sport GT Polymetal over Garnet
11 Posts
I've never even heard of a GT, there's standard, select, preferred, premium, turbo and turbo premium plus.

There's nothing "GT" listed on Mazda's website.
We get GX, GS, and GT here in Canada. There are also trim packages on top of the basic model levels.
For example, with the Sport (HB) GT with a MT, you automatically have a Premium trim. With an AT, you can opt for Premium or not ($1700 option).
GS models get optional Luxury trim on AT or MT ($1900 option).
No optional trims on GX.
2.5T is optional on GT model only.
100 Anniversary is only available as a 2.5T+AE details. Not positive, but I think it has all the GT Premium goodies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 100th Anniversary basically have most everything jammed in there: Turbo, leather, F+B cam, Bose, mags, a host of electronic driving aids, and upgraded front suspension. There are a few dealer installed options like mud flaps and window ventvisors, which was installed. Still awaiting the Corksport ramair intake for the Turbo.

Too bad MT was not an option, would dearly love to have that. The driving experience of a Turbo+AWD+MT M3 would have been just ideal. Especially given the Turbo's copious amount of torque available at a relatively low RPM.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts