2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2020 hatch GT. It doesn’t have Collision Avoidance or Front Sensors. I was driving home today and the “Brake Now” message and warning sound flashed. Why? How? I’ve never seen this before. There was a car in the opposite lane and someone walking on the sidewalk but no reason to brake.
I read some Mazda 3s are being recalled due to some doing emergency braking for no reason. Could this be it?
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you need to read the paperwork from the dealer and see what options and features your cars has.....I would guess that the GT has at least SCBS and Forward Obstruction Warning as standard features.....
I bought it from a VW dealer so I initially thought/hoped that it had all that but I went to a Mazda dealer a few weeks ago to see if I could add the front sensors - not really possible - they confirmed that it doesn’t have SCBS or Front Obstruction Warning. It has a camera someplace that reads traffic signs but I don’t have a front camera to go with the backup camera or any proximity sensors on the front. That’s why I have no idea why or how the Brake Now warning came on. For “fun” I drove towards a parked car - totally would have hit it - no warnings at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. No smart braking. It has smart cruise and will brake to maintain distance. The dealer specifically told me it won’t brake to keep me from hitting anything. It will beep when I get close to something when I’m backing up but nothing going forwards. It was a rental car - maybe it’s an odd duck.

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
You bought a 2020 Mazda 3, it was advertised and sold to you as a GT trim. You don't have the features that a GT should have, or that all Mazda 3s should have, you don't see that as a problem?

You can find VIN number decoders on line that will tell you what your car really is, or maybe ask a Mazda dealer what features are supposed to be in the car. You paid for a higher end GT trim, you should find out if thats what you really got.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
“Brake Assist measures the speed at which the brake pedal is pressed and the braking pressure and when the force is judged to be insufficient the system compensates by applying additional pressure.”
Maybe it does this but it definitely doesn’t stop me from hitting things.

Maybe all those features would have been nice. But it was priced right - I have what I have. I don’t think the VW people were trying to scam me. I watched a video comparing the GT and GS
. Mine is 95% GT - only difference I see is that I don’t have a frameless rear view mirror.

Why/how did the Brake Now warning come up? Do others see this? Is my computer glitching?

·
Super Moderator
6,733 Posts
If you have the smart cruise control it could possibly do that? Other than that it could be a problem with the system.

Every source for Canadian cars says that the GT has front collision avoidance. The website linked above says this-
The top-rung GT trim gets a full complement of active and passive safety systems as standard. They include a wide-angle rearview camera, adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go, front collision mitigation with pedestrian detection, blind spot warning, lane-departure warning, lane-keep assist, auto high-beam control, and driver attention alert.
Is this what you have?

·
Registered
190 Posts
“Brake Assist measures the speed at which the brake pedal is pressed and the braking pressure and when the force is judged to be insufficient the system compensates by applying additional pressure.”
Maybe it does this but it definitely doesn’t stop me from hitting things.

Maybe all those features would have been nice. But it was priced right - I have what I have. I don’t think the VW people were trying to scam me. I watched a video comparing the GT and GS
. Mine is 95% GT - only difference I see is that I don’t have a frameless rear view mirror.

Why/how did the Brake Now warning come up? Do others see this? Is my computer glitching?
Do you have: radar cruise; the heads-up display; navigation; leather seating surfaces; sunroof? If so, you have a GT, and you do have front collision avoidance. The latter has nothing to do with sonic sensors on the front bumper for parking etc.

What you experienced is a well-known problem. There was/is a safety recall for it. Have you checked your VIN through Mazda Canada's open recall checking system? If not, you should, or take the car to a Mazda dealership and have them check.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi. Thanks everyone for all the help. I called Mazda Canada and asked about the warning I got. They said it was likely a sensor mistake. I don’t have a recall due but my local dealer says I’m due for a “module update”. They didn’t know if the update had anything to do with the sensors or not. But it can’t hurt.

Mazda Canada argued with me that I do have Smart City Braking - auto braking. The dealer I called though could see that I don’t have the battery set up for that - I don’t have a capacitor?? Does the capacitor have anything to do with Smart City Braking?

I do have the smart cruise, lane assist, heads up display, etc so maybe I have all the sensors but I don’t have auto braking (except for the smart cruise) and it doesn’t tell me if I’m getting too close to something ahead of me when I park - just from behind. Strange. I’ll see if the dealer can educate me next week.

Have a great weekend

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi. Thanks everyone for all the help. I called Mazda Canada and asked about the warning I got. They said it was likely a sensor mistake. I don’t have a recall due but my local dealer says I’m due for a “module update”. They didn’t know if the update had anything to do with the sensors or not. But it can’t hurt.

Mazda Canada argued with me that I do have Smart City Braking - auto braking. The dealer I called though could see that I don’t have the battery set up for that - I don’t have a capacitor?? Does the capacitor have anything to do with Smart City Braking?

I do have the smart cruise, lane assist, heads up display, etc so maybe I have all the sensors but I don’t have auto braking (except for the smart cruise) and it doesn’t tell me if I’m getting too close to something ahead of me when I park - just from behind. Strange. I’ll see if the dealer can educate me next week.

Have a great weekend
If you have radar cruse control you have automatic braking.. Its that simple. The reason Mazda Canada tried to tell you so!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does automatically brake when I’m using the cruise. Isn’t smart city braking / auto braking separate from the cruise control system? If I have this then why doesn’t it brake as I’m driving towards something with the cruise off? Or at least ding to tell me I’m getting close to something?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It does automatically brake when I’m using the cruise. Isn’t smart city braking / auto braking separate from the cruise control system? If I have this then why doesn’t it brake as I’m driving towards something with the cruise off? Or at least ding to tell me I’m getting close to something?
Because that's not what the sensor is looking for. A pedestrian or car appearing suddenly is nothing like a stationary wall.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. Under Safety - Collision Avoidance it says “Smart Brake Control” and “Smart Brake Support (Rear)” Should it also say “Smart City Braking”? They are both on. Still let’s me run into walls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks. Under Safety - Collision Avoidance it says “Smart Brake Control” and “Smart Brake Support (Rear)” Should it also say “Smart City Braking”? They are both on. Still let’s me run into walls.
Neither of those deal with running into a wall. That would be parking sensors (that beep as you code to an object). Those are for when a vehicle or person moves into your path. The vehicle will alert you and potentially apply the brakes. It doesn’t brake itself until it thinks the accident is gonna happen, it’s not trying to PREVENT the accident it’s trying to lessen the affects of it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi
I have a 2020 hatch GT. It doesn’t have Collision Avoidance or Front Sensors. I was driving home today and the “Brake Now” message and warning sound flashed. Why? How? I’ve never seen this before. There was a car in the opposite lane and someone walking on the sidewalk but no reason to brake.
I read some Mazda 3s are being recalled due to some doing emergency braking for no reason. Could this be it?
Thanks
Reset your infotainment and see if it happens again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
Thanks
I have a 2020 hatch GT , this has happened to me on a couple of occasions but only when it appeared that I was heading towards another vehicle ,both times on a slight bend, so maybe it's something to expect now and then,small price to pay for such technology i guess. Great motor though, I'm on my second and no doubt I'll be sticking with this model for the foreseeable future.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts